Re: Potatoes origins

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:12:21 +1200

Herve Ancelin

>It would explain why potatoes are associated to Lunars and not to Dara
>Happans.

Again I have to disagree. Dara Happa has plenty of indigeneous Darkness and Lunar cults within its pantheon. Hence that a plant has darkness or lunar associations or both is not a sufficient reason for the Dara Happans to cast it out of their pantheon (although it is more than sufficient for the Dara Happans to keep a foreign import out).

>The culture of potatoes has not been discussed so far. If Asrelia is
>the Potato Goddess, I would say that fertility rituals involve burying
>something in exchange.

However Asrelia is unlikely to be the Spud Goddess as she is an Orlanthi diety whereas the humble spud is Pelorian. Thilla (the nurturer of Yuthuppa) is much more likely to be the Spud Goddess since she already is associated with roots.

--Peter Metcalfe