Analog Errors

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:08:36 -0800

Concerning the discursion of Dara happan Rice,

>Gary R Switzer wonders :
>always seen it as a Europe equivalent, not North American....

Tadaaki Kakegawa adds:
>here are two types of rice in RW if broadly speaking : Indica rice and
>Japanica rice. Indica is grown largely throughout South East Asia
>Thailand, India) to Europa and USA (Italy?, Calfolnia), and Japanica is
>grown mostly in East Asia (South China, Korea, Japan).

All of these appear to suffer from over-analogging. In fact, Peter was right in stating that Dara Happa has three types of rice, called sweet, fat and hardy.
These not the equivalent of any terrestrial grains at all.

Back to Gary:
>I think Trotsky said that Fronela was the Canada equivalent in
>Glorantha

Jamie's method of classification of regions to his excellent work on the beasts is not to be used as a hard and fast comparison. I note someone commented they were irritated that I had a habit of placing North American beasts everywhere (forgive my inadequate paraphrase). My comment to that is: they are nor North American beasts but the equivalent analogs that far found in Glorantha. It isn't wrong to find (say) Jack rabbits in Kralorela. It is wrong to think that Kralorela is China. Sartarites are NOT Celts, even though they have many characteristics that we consider to be Celtic.
Fronela is NOT Canada, even though many animals are like the Canadian one. And so on.
You will only find frustration if you try to pigeonhole Gloranthan regions into Terrestrial terms. Earthly analogs are a starting place for comparison,but the DIFFERENCES are the critical part.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_glorantha.com
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>