Devotee Dilemma

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:38:03 -0800

>Isn't this 60% of a devotee's time spent on cult business primarily
>a gaming mechanic? To avoid players taking the benefits and ignoring
>the obligations of the status.

Yes, it is a game mechanic intended to convey where a person's attention, consciousness and income go.
As for a Bartarite "doing his work" for the clan by plowing and farming: remember that his 60% is going to the god, not to the clan. His plowing, harvesting and praying gets a field of grain that goes to the temple, not to his family.
Oh, you say, but isn't his temple his clan temple anyway? No, not exactly. Not even when the Barntar Temple "belowngs to" his clan. They still dn't get to keep all that grain. It goes to the god, who may say "burn it for me," or he may say, "give it to Boldhome" or he may say, "eat it," or maybe even "Give it to your enemy clan."

Greg Stafford, greg_at_glorantha.com
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>