Yranian Leapers

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 18:52:29 +1200

Terra Incognita:

>Do you know something more than Missing Land about Yranian Reapers and
>Cult of Silence?

>I know a little bit about them. Yranians worshipped (worships?) Red
>Moon and conquered temporally Fonrit and attacked Umathela.

I should caution that all that the Glorantha: Intro says is that they worshipped "the forbidden planet called Yran" (G:I p226). I think this is the Red Moon (the draft even so far as to call it "the newly risen planet called Yran") but it could really mean any forbidden planet.

>But where did they come from? What kind of magic did they possess?
>And why they lost their power and where they went?

IMO they were native Fonritans that sought to understand the Red Moon that had just appeared on their horizon and because of this, their magics were lunar in origin.

They could manipulate lunar energies to make the blues, descendents of Blue Moon, shake of their passivity and revolt. They were known as Leapers because they could jump up onto the walls of the cities they were besieging - this may be a misunderstanding of levitation.

I don't think they lost their power but that their organization had to vanish for occult purposes. Perhaps they make a sacrifice to the Blue Moon for Lunar Understanding and had to conquer an empire and then throw it away to appease her. IMO they are still around in many cities waiting for their own plans to come to fruition.

--Peter Metcalfe

End of Glorantha Digest