Re: Yranians

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 11:28:11 +0100

Greg:

> >> And about the human race of Thinobutu...now lives in Maslo Coast and
> Kimos,
> >> are they Agimori? or.....Kralori?
> >
> >The Thinobutu of Maslo are described as being Agimori.
>
> Yes, they are described as such. However, I actually see them as being of a
> different subrace of humanity. I generally do not agree with most of the
> former racial characterization of peoples as being to narrow.

Surely the problem is more that the characterisations are too broad? In other words, terms such as 'Wareran' and 'Agimori', while valid, cover a wide range of different racial types, and don't tell us specifically what these people are like, let alone their what their origin is. To take my area of interest in the West, although they're all Wareran, Loskalmi are tall and blond, Seshnegi are slim, short and swarthy, Ralians are tall and dark, Umathelans are dark-haired and heavily tanned, etc. (all entirely IMO, of course). So, yeah, they're all Wareran, but that doesn't necessarily tell us that much, even when - as in this case - they all have the same ultimate origin.

Wareran peoples such as the Heortlings and Pelorians aren't even related to the Westerners, having a different mythic origin (or origins). Not that the Westerners are exactly pure, either (which is why not all Loskalmi are blond and blue-eyed) - many of the ancestors of modern Westerners were IMO really hsunchen or theists who the Danmalastani incorporated and inveigled into their culture centuries or millennia ago.

So I think terms such as 'Wareran' and 'Agimori' are broad categories, not entirely useless, but with definite limitations as to what they can really tell us about the people concerned. If we bear those limitations in mind when using them (and I suspect they are helpful in an actual game of Hero Wars, if only for describing those foreigners you've just met), we should be alright.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic