The Testament of Balazar Lightson - Part 2

From: Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:43:42 -0400

We halted on the border between Votankiland and the last civilized = kingdom,
Tarsh and made sacrifice to all our gods, Tharkantus, Yelm, Polestar, Dayzatar, even the Good Goddess for success in our venture. Lacking any means of finding the shaman Blueface we decided in council that we = would be
slow and sure in our approach to the Votanki and try to approach one = group
first with offers of alliance against the darkmen and the treemen.=20

Our Votanki brethren suggested that we approach the Redwyrm clan first = as
they were the clan closest to the border with Tarsh and this we agreed = to
do.=A0 We sent our Votanki brethren to the Redwyrm and their leaders = agreed to
meet with us.=A0 The Redwyrm had been sadly decimated by darkmen = attacks and
were eager to secure our aid.=A0 They were however somewhat suspicious = about
our intentions since they had not the means of hiring us and in fact = the
Votanki had more experience in hiring out as mercenaries than they did = in
employing them.=A0 Their leader, Elder Burrfoot, asked us flat out what = we
wanted in Votankiland as it is a hard, poor land, suited only for = hunters.=A0
I answered that my God had led us here for some reason and that we = wanted to
make ourselves a home here.=A0 He replied that his people only had land = enough
for themselves and had none to share.=A0 He thought that if we could = drive off
the darkmen perhaps we could have the land they were living on, however = even
this would have to be agreed to by all the clans and they had not been united under one of their own for many, many years.=A0 Not since the = days of
their legendary king Hargaard Silverfist at least.=A0 We had a quick = council
meeting and agreed that we would start by aiding the Redwyrms and see = where
matters went from there.

The darkmen were complacent and unwary.=A0 Using our magics of light = and
anti-darkness we fell upon them like a hammer on an anvil.=A0 The = combination
of our stalwart Templars and the native scouts proved to be an = excellent
one.=A0 Despite the darkmen's best efforts, fighting as demons when we = had
them cornered, we rooted them out of their lair and drove them off into = the
wilderness.=A0 Our success and the effectiveness of our magic against = them
caused many of the young men to forswear their traditional ways and vow = to
follow only Yemalio spurning all others.=A0 This did not of course sit = well
with the elders of the Redwyrms and I feared the dissent that it would bring.=A0 During the celebration for our victory I called for silence = and
stood up before all the Redwyrms and my own followers and made a speech = to
them.=A0 I thanked everyone for their help in routing the darkmen and = praised
the bravery of the young men and my own Templars. Before the utterances = of
the elders got too vocal I also praised their traditional ways and told = the
young men that I could not accept them among=A0 my followers of Yemalio = until
such time as my God was accepted by the Votanki.=A0 I told them that I = had to
find the shaman Blueface and ask him what I would have to do to get = Yemalio
accepted by the Votanki.

"He must be accepted as kin, accepted as a leader and warrior", replied someone in a loud, clear voice.=A0 Startled we all looked for the = source of
the voice and we saw a powerful looking old man whose body was covered = with
blue tattoos of power. Beside him was a huge saber toothed cat with = rune
carved fangs.=A0 This could be none other than Blueface himself and his = helper
Greyrunner Runefang.=A0 Once past their shock everyone fell over = themselves to
make a place for the shaman at the fire.=A0 We asked him why he was = here and
he replied that he was here because he was again needed.=A0 He told me = that my
God was needed but that to be accepted I, as my god's representative = would
have to marry into the family of the Votanki.=A0 But first I must earn = the
respect and love of the Votanki.=A0 How was I to do this I wondered. = =A0
Blueface suggested a course of action.=A0 If I aided the clans in = driving the
darkmen out of Votankiland and stepped lightly on their ways I would = make
friends with them.=A0 If I accepted their ways and gave myself to them = and
their gods they would love me.=A0 In private, words in my ears only he = later
told me that I should seek out and woo Rigtaina the hunting nymph, = daughter
of Foundchild and the Wild Mother.=A0 I thought briefly on this and = said that
I thought this sounded like a wise course of action. =A0 I would have = to
consult with my followers first though.=A0 Blueface said that he would = stay on
long enough to hear our decision.

The next morning we met in privacy and discussed the course of action Blueface had suggested.=A0 It seemed to us that the God had led us here = for
just this purpose, hard though it was for us to see why Yemalio would = want
us to live here bereft of his holy kin. =A0 However the ways of the = gods are
sometimes strange to all so we voted and agreed that we would stay in = this
harsh land and make it our own.=A0 We made our decision known to = Blueface and
he told us that he would be back when he was needed.=A0 He turned and = left the
camp.

What to tell of the following years?=A0 We drove the darkmen farther = and
farther out into the wilderness.=A0 We made truce with the treemen and = they
agreed, partly based on their friendly relationship with my God that = they
would leave the Votanki alone. Fortunately the Votanki dislike the = forests
the treemen prize so as long as the Votanki agreed not to burn the = forests
the agreement was easy to keep. We worked very hard to keep them from = doing
this.=A0 The stonemen who lived nearby in one of their underground = cities we
saw not at all and counted ourselves glad of that fact. The darkmen = though
we drove mercilessly and slew wherever we found them.=A0 It took us = almost
four whole years to do so but finally we drove them out into the aptly = named
Elder Wilds.=A0 More and more clans came to rely upon and follow us and = I kept
my word about not allowing the young men to join Yemalio.=A0 I = respected their
ways, seeking membership in their hunter cult of Foundchild, and living = my
life following their rules.=A0 I urged my followers to take Votanki = brides and
respect their ways and most did so.=A0 Not loyal Trilus though.=A0=20

Oliver