Tenths, Commoners and Slavery

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:59:23 +0900

Peter:
> >What the proportion of Slaves aside from Mudders and Weeders (are
> >these Alkothian words?) of Dara Happan Cities live inside of their
cities?

> It depends on the number of Lunars and their wealth.
>
> >As far as I read Glorantha ITHW, citizen Bureaucrats and commoners are
not
> >Slaves. And maybe Danfive Xaroni and Eleventh are prisoners of war and
> >captives. But I don't know how far modern Lunar custom has been induced
> >these cities.
>
> One in twenty Dara Happans are Lunars. Assuming that one in five
> are wealthy and an average of ten slaves per wealthy lunar (I'm
> pulling the last two numbers out of thin air), I get about ten
> percent of the urban population being slaves, which sounds okay.

This number is too small if I can consider about Greek Polis in Persian War and Peloponnesian War.

In Athens which ruled Attica and Delos Alliance took control 100,000 slaves with 120,000 members of Citizens and their family. On the contrary in Sparta, which reigned Peloponnesian Peninsula took control over 210,000 people of Pelioikoi and Helot with only 4,000 elite soldiers and family.

But what is the difference of their concept to Slavery between RW Greek and DH?
It seems DH culture has worked around oligarchy and monarchy. Maybe DH citizens are almost all kind of "Slavery" except some elites and nobility....

But we should consider how they can feed themselves. I should take apart DHs from Greeks because they don't get same harvest from same way of farming. (Rice and Barley, Wheat, Rye, or in Entekosiad, p33...or
> There's three types of rice, each with their own star: Sweet
> Rice, Fat Rice and Hardy Rice., Soft Rice and Hard Rice
sorry, I can't find where this information was come from.) How was the setting in KODP? (Orlanthi surely can get only one Harvest per year.....?)

(And I secretly consider about how Europeans beautify their RW ancient circumstance of Greek and Rome (Umm, but such unconscious control is inevitable for each World of Fantasy and their own homeland "History". I cannot deny my own bias. And such phenomenon surely appeared in many Orlanthi Publications about "Noble Barbarians" ) And I also should be consider about Magic Deus Ex Machina which influences everything except in the realm of Mystics. )

> >What is the concept of Dara Happan cities? It seems several cities
outside
> >of DH area (Henjarl, Vonlath, Esvuthil) also hold minority
> >of DH stock. How do they live outside of their "natural" circumstance?
>
> Like the Roman and Greek colonies. The Dara Happans live in
> the city under their own institutions and deal with the natives
> outside the city. Over time, there will be native commoners
> within the city who act as go-betweens between the Dara Happans
> and the natives.
>
> >And what is the commoner's status who generally lives inside of city
walls
> >but has lived as farmers? And if the City Walls surround the boundary of
> >these farming lands, it should be also called "inside of DH cities"?
> >(maybe it should go to the reverse of Orlanthi.....)
>
> I don't think the City Walls encompass farming lands since the
> Dara Happans distinguish between Yelmic City Folk and Lodrili
> peasants. Open spaces within the city would be reserved for
> pleasant parks for the citizens to walk in.

Efendi told me they would fell to scorbutic if they cannot feed Vitamin under the siege,
(maybe Alkothian Berserks could eat the flesh of their enemies and cowards and got enough nourishment.)
As a real history student, he taught me it is natural that some of ancient cities hold gardens, field and orchards inside of City Walls.

> >What is the current status of Relationship between Imperial University
and
> >Social Ruling Class? (I think Tatius the Bright is one example, but...)
>
> All Lunar nobles send their kids to the Imperial University.
> In addition to the noble offspring, there are also students
> from poorer backgrounds that have obtained scholarships based
> on merit. Once they graduate, they are destined for fairly
> important positions of power. Solars send their kids to be
> educated at the Buserian Schools while Carmanians are educated
> by the Viziers.
>
> Very few Solars are part of the actual rulers (as opposed
> to being a powerless noble with lots of titles). Tatius the
> Bright is the exception because he's brilliant.
>
> >What is the education-level of Ruling Class aside from Reaching
> >Moon Megacorp printed matters? How has gone to their militaristic
> >of these Dart War Ruling Class and Bureaucrats?
>
> I think most of the ruling class have attended the Imperial
> University. I don't think the pacifism of the students
> affects much the militarism of the Lunar nobility - rather
> most lunars snap out of the political attitudes they had
> while a student.

> --Peter Metcalfe

IMG, some of nobles bought entirely their units (credits) in their University. And many students went mad during their studying around White Moonies....
(I think Sartar is too handicapped if Peter's setting is perfectly right. Or Great Civic War erupts inside of LE ? .)

End of Glorantha Digest