Re: Tenths, Commoners and Slavery

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 21:42:06 +1200

At 17:59 14/04/02 +0900, you wrote:

> > One in twenty Dara Happans are Lunars. Assuming that one in five
> > are wealthy and an average of ten slaves per wealthy lunar (I'm
> > pulling the last two numbers out of thin air), I get about ten
> > percent of the urban population being slaves, which sounds okay.

>This number is too small if I can consider about Greek Polis in
>Persian War and Peloponnesian War.

I realize that. But most of the wealthy Dara Happans are Solars who do not own slaves (c.f. p96 of the Glorantha: Intro where it's pointed out that lunars are the main users of slaves).

>But what is the difference of their concept to Slavery between RW Greek
>and DH?

Dara Happa has fewer slaves than Greece simply because the nobility prefer more civilized institutions such as bonded labour and corvee to get the work they want.

> > There's three types of rice, each with their own star: Sweet
> > Rice, Fat Rice and Hardy Rice.

>sorry, I can't find where this information was come from.)

The Glorious ReAscent p59.

> > I don't think the City Walls encompass farming lands since the
> > Dara Happans distinguish between Yelmic City Folk and Lodrili
> > peasants. Open spaces within the city would be reserved for
> > pleasant parks for the citizens to walk in.

>Efendi told me they would fell to scorbutic if they cannot feed
>Vitamin under the siege,

Ancient sieges are rarely as effective as modern sieges for the simple reason that there's always someone in the besieging army willing to make a quick buck selling food to the besieged.

>As a real history student, he taught me it is natural that some of ancient
>cities hold gardens, field and orchards inside of City Walls.

That's true but the question was farms as in filthy paddies tended by half-naked farmers. The Dara Happans would not want those within their city walls. They don't mind fig trees, they don't mind pheasants on the lawn. But these are closer to parks rather than farms.

--Peter Metcalfe