The Emperors Ten Tests

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 00:51:34 +0100

Terra Incognita brought these up...

>>From Peter Metcalph's post to HW Digest:
>
>Ten Regalia
>GROY p. 25 Anaxial p. 50 Khordavu
>FS p. 54 Red Emperor
>
>I don't think these originals have survived till today. But these are
>always used for the Ten Tests, originally Murharzarm passed Ten Tests
>imposed by gods of each Ten Cities. (IMHO) But it seems that Anaxial
>and TakenEgi found the way not to try literally enacting the Ten Tests
>attributing to Ten Cities, for they could find only seven appropriate
>cities in their domain.

I think Magnificus found a way to change the tests too, at least reading between the lines in FS leads me to believe so.

TakenEgi took the ten tests at the behest of the Emperor Yelmgatha (who had taken the tests himeslf) and, for a while they ruled together until Yelmgatha's death (FS pp51-3)

When TakenEgi first died (during the sacred time ceremonies 3/35) the Oracles foresaw that no one would succeed in all ten tests, and all those who tried and failed died since there can not be two rightful Emperors at once FS (pp61-2)

TakenEgi returned a year later, descending from the moon with his mother - I don't believe he re-took the tests at this time he continued to rule for 24 years, and was then slain by Sheng Seleris (FS pp62-3) He returned 13 years later, ambushing Sheng's brother as he attempted the ten tests. FS p63 says "It was imperative that he prove that there was still a legitimate Emperor. By proving this, he prevented Sheng Seleris from attempting the Ten Tests." This may have involved re-taking some or all of the tests, or merely ensuring that Sheng didn't. However Sheng's star was (literally) in the ascendant and Takenegi was killed a third time.

It was on his third Reincarnation that TakenEgi gained then title Magnificus, and defeated Sheng Seleris however "Some people [...]doubted that the Red Emperor was who he said he was. [...] they doubted he was truly the Red Emperor for 'five of his parts are not the same'" (FS p64)

Magnificus agreed to retake the ten tests to prove his legitimacy, but added a new twist of his own, asking those who doubted him to name one of the tests, and effectively gamble their holdings and status against his success - he only got 4 takers - which makes me wonder, did he only take 4 of the tests - or at least only enact the "full" version of the four nominated tests, and "merely" perform "ritual" versions of the other 6?

He also vowed to retake the tests under the same conditions any time he died and re-appeared - maybe the candidates in Life of Moonson should have been looking to recruit "opponents" rather than supporters?

--
| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| Everything I tell You Three times is true                               |

End of Glorantha Digest