Holy Rock, man!

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 02:30:11 +0100 (BST)

Bob Vesterman:

> I just recently purchased a house. One part of my property is a little
> wooded area; in it is this big rock. I'm not sure why, but the instant I
> first noticed it, I immediately thought that it seemed like a very Orlanthi
> kind of rock. I guess it made me think of the rock you can find on your
> tula in King of Dragon Pass that has the awakened spirit. Now, every time
> that I see that rock, I think the same thing.
>
> So, I get to thinking, I could paint some runes on it. My first thought -
> Orlanth. Wind, movement, mastery. I'm about to do this, but then I get to
> thinking that it might be kind of strange to paint a movement rune on a big
> rock.
>
> So, what would an Orlanthi do with a big ol' rock that somehow seems special
> on his property?

I think that would all depend on what sort of Orlanthi he was! Similarly to the choices your clan gets in KoDP, in fact. Do you say, "hrm, unusual magical rock, let's find out how it wants to be treated, what sort of magic might it give us?" (Ticks to Novelty...) Do you say "sacred rock, must be a gift from Orlanth!" (and thence, as you say, daub Swirl, Tripod, Crown on it). (Ticks to Piety...) Or do you say "wrong sort of magic, ignore it, desecrate it, propitiate it"? (Ticks to Reactionary Old Farts.)

In grand cosmological terms, it might easily be either "rock spirit" or a "rock daimon", and its attributes might be just about anything. 'Movement' and big rocks aren't an impossible comination, though -- look at Larnste's Table, or Travelling Stone...