Heroquesting

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:17:41 +1200

Simon Phipp:

>We know that Arkat was a member of several systems, being a Brithini
>Knight, Hrestoli Knight, Sword of Humakt and Death Lord of Zorak Zoran.
>
>It has been said before that Arkat gained his first insights into
>HeroQuesting when he visited the same sites over and over again during his
>HeroQuesting. So, he saw the same things from different
>perspectives. This allowed him to combine the different paths and
>generalise HeroQuesting.
>
>Assuming that these encounters are on the/a HeroPlane, my question is:
>How can the Brithini/Hrestoli HeroQuests interact with the Humakti/Zorak
>Zorani HeroQuests?

Yes.

>I assume that the Brithini and Hrestoli Other Sides are different, or do
>they simply connect to different Nodes?

They are in the same place but mostly connect to different nodes. IMO some major nodes are shared so that they resemble holy cities with one quarter given over to the Hrestoli, another to the Rokari, a third to the damnable atheists and so forth. Thus the splintered nature of Malkionism is reflected in the sorcery planes.

>When Malkioni HeroQuest, do they cross over from one of their Nodes
>to a HeroPlane and HeroQuest in that HeroPlane?

Given past RQ publications, I don't think it's necessary for the Malkioni to go to a Node on the sorcery plane and then cross over to a heroplane. Examples of direct entry in the Heroplanes that I can recall are:

>If so, can they interact with Theistic HeroQuests?

They can and there's a historical example - Harmast and his friends rescued the Knight Arkat. Later Harmast gives the keys to Castle Kartolin to Talor the Laughing Warrior.

>Also, how do Malkioni with cross-over myths interact with the HeroQuestors
>from those cross-over myths? An example would be
>when Zzabur showed Aldrya how to defeat the Gorp that plagued
>her.

I'm not sure if this particular myth is correct anymore but Malkioni do have myths of interacting with Aldryami nevertheless.

>If a Malkioni performed this Quest, would he actually
>interact with Aldryami HeroQuestors or would he interact with
>some other Malkioni HeroQuestor?

He would interact with Aldryami.

--Peter Metcalfe