Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #65 - 4 msgs

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:40:43 -0700

At 05:53 AM 4/23/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>It has been said before that Arkat gained his first insights into
HeroQuesting when he visited the
>same sites over and over again during his HeroQuesting. So, he saw the
same things from different
>perspectives. This allowed him to combine the different paths and
generalise HeroQuesting.

>Assuming that these encounters are on the/a HeroPlane, my question is:
>How can the Brithini/Hrestoli HeroQuests interact with the Humakti/Zorak
Zorani HeroQuests?
As enemies.

>I assume that the Brithini and Hrestoli Other Sides are different, or do
they simply connect to different Nodes? Same Otherworld, different nodes, in general (except for common nodes, such as the Blue Book of Zzabur.)

>When Malkioni HeroQuest, do they cross over from one of their Nodes to a
>HeroPlane and HeroQuest in that HeroPlane?
Yes. I thought I'd stated this.

>If so, can they interact with Theistic HeroQuests?
Yes of course. They do it all the time. As enemies. Please see http://www.glorantha.com/new/mythmaps.html, or look at the maps in Revealed Mythologies (which are more complete). Those are the maps that the various Otherworlds lead to. Do they overlap with each other? Yes, at the edges. Is Oabil the same as Chir? Yes, more or less.

[BTW, anyone who would like to do the Malkioni versions of the maps for on line should contact Graham]

>Also, how do Malkioni with cross-over myths interact with the HeroQuestors
from those cross-over myths? An example would be when Zzabur showed Aldrya how to defeat the Gorp that plagued her. If a Malkioni performed this Quest, would he actually interact with Aldryami HeroQuestors or would he interact with some other Malkioni HeroQuestor? Aldryami.

>Is it the case that these are not actually cross-over myths but similar
myths?
Both, really. Part of the (advanced) HQ process is to determine which of these it is.

>In this case,
>Zzabur would not have helped Aldrya but the Green Lady. If this is so, do
we have to rewrite all the Malkioni Myths to reflect this? Is Zeus versus Typhon the same myth as Indra versus Virtra? Yes and no. Basically, you go to the Hero Planes to determine what is happening. You go there to make solid your own view of what happened.

Chris and Bob:
>I'd say it might depend on what it looked like -- does
>it have something that might be a face, etc.?
Of course, the real thing that they would do with a rock is find out what made the rock and acknowledge the entity that lived there. People do not determine the mythology of the land. They don't make up associations and connections, but discover them.

TI says:
>> Less facetiously it represents a lot of different things to different
>> peoples. The Dara Happans will say a costellation represents this while
>the >> Kralorelan's say it represents this. I guess the Palmatelans see
the same
>> sky given a flat world so of course they see different things again, which
>> will vary depending on where you are.

Note that may people don't really know anything about most of the stars. They can make up whatever they want, but they don't worship them or get any power from them.
Sometimes a people can say, "Let's worship that one as the Berry gatherer (or whatever) and start worship. They might get some berry-gathering power, but only through esoteric rituals would they be able to discover what the constellation REALLY is.
However, for those stars that they do know, they can get real magic.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_glorantha.com
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>