Re: Ygg

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:10:56 +0100 (BST)

Guy Hoyle:
>I'm away from my resources for a bit and I can't
quite recall which gods are worshipped on the Ygg's Isles besides Ygg. Is their culture derived from Orlanthi culture, or am I thinking that just because both are reminiscent of Vikings?<

Geography of Glornatha in an old WF decribed them as Glorantha's Vikings, but yes Storm worhsippers do seem to be barbarians ;)

A couple of pints first the following links to fan submissions may help:

A description of Ygg - not quite as I see him - see below
http://www.glorantha.com/hw/cultshort_ygg.html

and on the WOlf Pirates

http://www.glorantha.com/hw/heroband_wolfpirates.html

Ygg is usually suggested to be a Strom God, but not of Orlanth's Storm Tribe. However I am sure that increasing encounters with the Storm Tribe ins Dragon Pass might lead to heroquesters seeking to explain their relationship.

But also do you appreciate that Ygg is a poetic name, or kenning (with a leap and a bound Ian ties this post into John's post), for Odin, referring to Yggsadril, the World Ash Tree, upon which Odin hung himself and gained knowledge of the runes. If I were to do an Ygg cult I would tend to draw on the cult of Odin far more than the existing fan contrubtions do.

YGMV. Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)
07970-411892 (M)
0207-337-6217 (W)

"They were seven in all, and therewithal both sides rushed into the fight. Thorarin slew a house-carle of Thorbiorn's, and Alfgeir another, and there fell also a housecarle of Thorarin's; but no weapons would bite on Odd Katlason. Now the goodwife Aud calls out on her women to part them, and they cast clothes over the weapons." The Story Of The Ere-Dwellers Chapter 18

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com