Re: World Greatest Tournament

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 20:15:59 -0700

At 20:10 +0900 02-05-05, TERRA INCOGNITA wrote:

> Map of Finland

Finland rocks, but I don't see what they have to do with this discussion...

> I have been trying to read Germany "World Greatest Tounament (1996)". It
> seems that some interesting facts can be found in this booklet for the
> Kingdom of Nomia, Alakoring Orbuni Clan and Ingolf Garanazar clan. (It seems
> many new ideas induced in this freeform, like the Naskorion Duke, etc...)

It's not an "official" document, if that matters to you...

> > (Also, I don't know that it's technically an Alakoring area.
>> Alakorings are a type of Heortling. Anyone in Ralios is not a
>> Heortling.)
>
> Martin Laurie used this term in his Gwandorlinga Saga (though I know you
> might not admit his stance.) for people of Kocholang and Garundyer.
> http://www.celtic-webs.com/glorantha/campaigns/gwandor/saga/gwandor65.html

OK, Greg has called both groups "Alakorings," and there are clearly similarities. But this is probably like the Byzantines calling everyone to the west "Franks." I don't think the people of Ralios are at all Heortling, even though they have adopted some Heortling cultural practices (and the Heortling religion).

> > I do know that Lankst is where you find staff-churches (the kind the
>> vikings used to build). There's an article about one in a fairly
>> early issue of Tales of the Reaching Moon.
>>
> I think it is "Windy Hill" in Tales #12, but I don't have any Tales before
> Issue #10....

Probably the one I'm thinking of.

> > I frequently steal from Irish sources for East Ralios. I don't think
>> that Lankst would be the same, but there might be some overlap (the
>> way the Vikings used Njall, from Irish Niall).
>>
> Or North Germany and South Germany? It seems the magical power of Kocholang
> (Fire Breathe) is that of Dietrich von Bern....

One hint (which might be harder -- or easier -- as a non-English speaker): don't spell it in German. Spell it the way you think it sounds (so he might be Deetrik Vonburn or Daitritch Fonburn).

> I think there is rivlary between Lankstans and Delelans...

I agree.

> > Yes, I think Alakoring is a real name. I think we know only three
>> names from Lankst (Alakoring, Kocholang, Garundyer) and they're all
>> at least 3 syllables.
>
> And I can add Harandros Ironbrain from Avalonhill Genertela Box. Some
> "near-Unofficial" source taught me Siglolf Cloudcrasher and Jofrain
> Nightburner were also Lankstans if they were not accepted foreigners through
> Orlanthi Custom.

My memory's slipping... Harandros is Lanksti. Jofrain freed Lankst, so he's probably from there. So much for my 3 syllable rule.

Siglolf's name sounds more like he's from Aggar or Heortling lands.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>