Re: Putting an end to Hero Planes

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 03:19:35 -0700 (PDT)

Alex:

> Julian Lord:
> > That and the infamous CoT monomyth as well as some of the
> > draft/WiP merpeople material and unpublished stuff, all of these
> > sources subject to shift, change, and retcon as duly noted.
>
> CoT is one source at least I have to hand, and I see the term "Black
> Age" in it not. (Unlike "later" ages, which appear explicitly.) Nor
> do I see how it in any way implies such a thing.

In fact, using the terms of Black, Blue, Green and Golden Age as general designations of the mythic eras is quite misleading as it implies that the succession of elements cosmogony is the only (correct) view of this distant mystic past. That is obviously not true as there are competing views, which can also be visited through heroquesting. I'd say the number of mythic ages, and their labels will differ from culture to culture. That doesn't stop the discussion of the number and structure of otherworlds from being interesting of course, it is just that the whole terminology feels wrong.

The split and remix of the otherworlds can most likely mapped to all the cosmogonies.

Nils Weinander

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Health - your guide to health and wellness http://health.yahoo.com