Green Age Again

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 08:07:31 -0700

At 06:06 AM 5/12/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_mac.com>
>> This is a key to understand why this can not be understood.
>My favorite Stafford quote ever.

Even made me laugh.

>To even think of such a thing would take a type of person who was perhaps
>untrained, or impious, or liberal-minded, or practical, or perverted, or
>experimental. Someone like, say, a player character! -- Greg Stafford
This one isn't bad, either.

>On Saturday, May 11, 2002, at 05:58 AM, Greg Stafford wrote:
>> If you retain your individual human consciousness, then you have changed it
>> from the Green Age to the Golden Age.
Note that here I mean "individual consciousness." That is, the sense of Self, of I or of ego. The sense of being separate from Nature, from Society or from whoever you had been before you realized this. The first parts of Entekosiad are all stories of this realization. It comes about to different groups of people in different ways. Sometimes it is sex, death, bad weather or inequality that bring it about. Once brought about, it spreads to everyone.

>This is a more stringent explanation of the effect of the Green Age than I
>realized. I thought individual experience was possible, but any "modern"
>type of action changed it from green to gold.
I know I've published a number of admonishments that humans should never visit the Green Age because it was so dangerous. "Modern" in this sense means individual.
Note that it is possible to visit the Green Age as Valare does in the Great Dance (Ent. p 37). However, her participation there is to erase her individuality. She does not recognize that the drowned man she speaks to is her former lover, for instance (and yes, I know no hint of that exists in the mss anywhere. But it is still so.)
Her recollection of that dance shows the way for modern Pelorians to participate in the modern dance, and thereby erase their modern individual consciousness for the duration of the dance, thereby experiencing the Green Age. This is a temporary condition, and this experience of non-differentiation (i.e. of Cosmic Unification) is one of the reasons that people participate in this type of rite.

>Yikes. Gotta think about how that will affect my game, which has visited
>the green age....

Sounds to me like they visited the "early Golden Age."

RE: A "whole map" of the Ages
In the discussion of the Ages I noticed someone had said something like, "We'd need complete maps of the ages to see where they overlap." Please note that NO ONE has such maps in Glorantha. Sure the GL have cobbled together maps (which serve as the source of the maps online) but in normal practice no one goes wandering around the Hero Planes to map it out. The myths which are HeroQuests are a story of what happened. The placement of different stories on one map gives a general picture of the Age, but is not to be considered a map in the modern sense. Did Thrinbarri Fields and Howling Shore exist together? No, they are in different myths. Can a player hero go on one of those quests, depart from the path and find the other place? Yes, but not always in the same way, same place or with the same entities. In fact, they may be the entity responsible for making" that event by their travels.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_glorantha.com
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>