Re: Glorantha digest, Understanding

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 13:32:35 EDT

In a message dated 13/05/02 10:52:59 GMT Daylight Time, glorantha-request_at_rpglist.org writes: Carl Fink:
<< here's an interesting implication of Greg's comments on the Green vs. later  ages (that since there was no individual consciousness in the Green earlier  ages, we can never truly understand them).

 See, as a science-trained person that sounds like a non-sequitur. ...snipped

 So one suspects that Greg's using the word "understand" somewhat differently  from me.

The science that I think gives me the most clear analogue to the way I understand the Mythic ages (or at least, the Green Age) is Child Development. New born babies have a very different "understanding" of the world to 2 year olds. They have no concept of there being different people, or of time passing. Even as children develop they have peculiar (to us adults) understandings of the way other people percieve things (for example, the "if I can't see you, you can't see me" type phenomena).

This also helps if you think you understand the Quantum. You might think you understand how a new born thinks but you cannot experience it (again) unless, for example, that we conclude that sleeping or being in meditation or something similar IS similar.

I would hate to equate the Terrible Twos with the Storm Age or the Teenage years with the Greater Darkness.

Keith