Re: shipping between Nochet and Noloswal

From: Karin Goihl & Daniel Fahey <goihlk_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 20:03:51 +0200

IWASAKI Moto:
>About the ships for tradings between Nochet and Noloswal, some think
>that that trading may be used galleys/penteconters, other think that
>trading may be used cogs/nefs.

"Galleys" have little space for trade goods and any profit from goods carried in them is greatly reduced by the need to feed the rowers. Successful trade involves ships with smaller crews.

>Venice merchants in the Medieval went to Danzig and London with their
>ships that are called the "round ships". A round ship had been seen
>from the Ancient. This ships are slow and not suited for sea battle.
>But this ships have a large size and a simple structure.

The construction of medieval ships was different from ancient Mediterranean ship construction, the ancient ships being built with the much-stronger but also more time-consumming (expensive) mortice and tendon construction. During both times there were various different types and sizes of ships, some quite large. I believe what you call a Venetian "round ship" is a caravel. "Round ship" is a simple description of any small trading ship. The term is used by people like us who know little about ships, but people who know more tend to use more specific names.

>This small ships don't have aspecial name, just be called "trading ships".

All ship types do have names, but you don't need to know them unless you are someone who works with them.

>The dhows are a kind of a small trading ship. The
>dhows are made with teakwood that is light and hard and grows only
>around India.

"Dhow" is a term incorrectly used by western people to denote a variety of different Arab ships. Arabs have several different names for different ships which fit the description "Dhow".
These ships are not particularly strongly built, but are relatively cheap to build.
The teak for these ships is often gotten from the Lakkadive Islands west of Calcutta, as well as from the mainland.

> And the dhows make use of monsoon wind. Other points are
>same as a nomal small trading ship.

Arabs tend to use the Winter (from the NE) monsoon for sailing "dhows" to/from India. They avoid the Summer (SW) monsoon as its winds are less predictable and tend to be stronger. Dhows use a lateen sail which is suitable for sailing across or even against winds, and thus can use the NE monsoon for travelling either way. In Roman times Greeks and others sailed their stronger ships from Egypt to India and back using both monsoons.

>I think that Indians used larger ships than the ship that we know as
>"dhow" when they fought on high sea. And Pamaltelans also would do so.

Yes, Indians had ships which were stronger and larger than dhows. Pamaltelans probably use what we call "junk". Do you know anything about when the junk was developed (in the real world)?

>Anyway, it is not a difficult argument. The Venezian trading ships,
>dhows, or Momosaka-no Fune are nearly same as the "Greek trading ship"
>has been apeared in "Navigation" of "RuneQuest Advanced Rule Book". I
>think that many ships for tradings between Nochet and Noloswal are this
>"Greek trading ships".

These ships all have differences but most are, as you say, around the same size
and used for more or less the same purposes. The "cog" which people have suggested as sailing between Nochet and Noloswal is also more or less of this size and is useful for this purpose.

Happy sailing

Daniel

End of Glorantha Digest