Myth-maps and Aldryami

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 13:39:47 GMT

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>

>Greg:

>> Did Thrinbarri Fields and
>> Howling Shore exist together? No, they are in different myths. Can a player
>> hero go on one of those quests, depart from the path and find the other
>> place? Yes, but not always in the same way, same place or with the same
>> entities. In fact, they may be the entity responsible for making" that
>> event by their travels.
>
>I suppose that when a Quester does this by intent, then one can pretty
>much throw it back at them, and ask them to give a myth-narrative account
>of _why_ this connection exists (or ought to exist); what the new, joined-
>up myth "really means", basically. OTOH, more often I'm looking as a
>narrator either for a way to make a myth less predictably linear, while
>still keeping the same basic "moral", or I'm trying to deal with unexpected
>player-quester actions, and still have it be "mythicly right". (And
>runaway interactions between the two...)

Isn't the whole point that the narrator can choose to run the quester into another quest if it suits the story without worrying too much about repercussions in some formalised map of the Hero Plane. At the same time the quester may recognise events as part of a known quest and subsequently find that they are wrong - one of the risks of going off track.

>[and in a later message]
>> In the Green Age you and I are not separate things. We are members of the
>> same people, not individual beings. We are the clan, for instance.
>> I know this is difficult for us to understand in the modern western way of
>> thinking.
>
>This is Group Consciousness then, is it?
>
>Presumably this is also the level of consciousness that elves retain
>some of; or it's the largest such part, at least. Anecdote seems to
>imply that they retain a common level of empathic connection with their
>own "forest", but are by no means incapable to sticking it to alydrami
>of a different sort (much less non-A.).

Perhaps the Aldyrami are still trying to function as if the were still in the Green Age. Their view is that the world is broken and elves are the best thing they can create to function independently while they work on a fix.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/