Celestial Court Survivors four Survivals

From: kesmith40165_at_web-unwired.net <kesmith40165_at_web-unwired.net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 07:33:53 -0700

>Gian Gero:

>> Can someone in modern Glorantha worship a god of the
>> Celestial Court? I mean, as a very rare or unique
>> option (like the worshipping of a great god without
>> the intercession of a subcult), could a modern
>> Gloranthan meet an initiate of (for example)
>> Kargan-Tor?

According to the Prosopaedia, only three members of the Celestial court are thought to have survived in some form or fashion they are: Bolongo, Ratslaff, and Uleria.

"Larnste [LAHRN-stay]
Eastern and Yelm pantheons -- Celestial Court god of change As a member of the Celestial Court, Larnste fashioned the rune of movement and change. When death came into the world, Larnste initially took the responsibility of separating those dead spirits from those still living. The dead spirits he gave into the care of the various gods and goddesses of the underworld, who were just coming into being. For this he earned the nickname The Soul Arranger. Larnste's ultimate fate during the Gods War is uncertain. Some philosophers believe that he survived by transmuting himself into another form, god, or power, and thus is no longer Larnste."

"Bolongo [boe-LONG-goe]
Pamalt pantheon -- the false god, the trickster This empty being haunts Pamaltela, pretending to teach and pretending to mask secret wisdom behind his fooleries and mad actions. But there is nothing behind his mask. Those who are enthralled by him expend their lives in meaningless waste. Whenever anything goes catastrophically wrong, people know that Bolongo had something to do with it. The Arbennan have a saying, "wearing Bolongo's mask," which is applied to anyone acting in an unusually stupid manner, to anyone who is possessed, and to that person chosen as the annual scapegoat.

Bolongo is always portrayed in art, myth, and legend as a mask."

"Uleria [yoo-LEHR-ee-ah]
Orlanth, Pamalt, and Yelm pantheons -- goddess of love and former Celestial Court goddess of life Uleria represents Love in all its forms: eros, agape, lust, platonic, etc. She commands those powers which bring things or people together. She may be the only deity of the Celestial Court to survive the Great Darkness, though some believe that that being which is worshiped in her name is only a small portion of the whole of Uleria, or is actually another goddess with identical powers, attributes, and appearance. Uleria's cult is widespread but not politically powerful. Uleria is depicted in different fashions for different pantheons, but always she is shown as a handsome, sexually mature man or woman."

         I missed reference to a fourth Celestial court member said to have survived.“Orenoar [ORE-en-OH-ahr]Yelm pantheon -- Celestial Court goddess of truthDuring the formative era of the cosmos, Orenoar was a companion of Larnste, the Changer. During that time the world grew well and quickly. Later, Orenoar took up residence with Acos, god of Law, and the world was strong and stable. During the Great Darkness the goddess of Truth was captured by the forces of darkness, and held captive until one of Dayzatar's sons rescued her. She now resides far from the mortal world, with Dayzatar in his sky-realm.”

Kes