Re: Stygian Autarchy

From: Nick Brooke <nick_at_etyries.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 19:58:29 +0100

Terra writes:

> I should confess I don't know precisely who began to call Arkati
> Empire as "Autarchy".

That's one of mine. Greg & Peter liked it enough to put into the Glorantha Book.

> But if I can guess the origin of this term, Gene Wolf's "The Book
> of the New Sun".

While that's an excellent series which everyone should read, the title "Autarch" certainly isn't original to it. Also, Severian's Autarch isn't comparable to the Stygian version -- he has more in common with Moonson, IMO.
> Nick Brooke hinted the "philosophy of cave" of Platonic Philosophy,
> control of gnosis for Idealized World. But I don't know how it can
> be linked to Trollish pragmatic, materialistic attitude toward meta-
> physical philosophy (except few exception).

To recognise your own ignorance is the beginning of knowledge. And who is more ignorant than the trolls? :-)

> Fifth, each of minor districts are administrated by the title Archons

Yep -- I wanted a populist Safelstran native term which was distinct from the feudal/western Seshnegi titles of the current lords. I think a Safelstran lord would be making a statement by declaring that he was an "archon", "duke", "tyrant" or "count". Or, indeed, "Autarch".

Cheers, Nick