Orlanthi HQ

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:50:40 +0900

Unfinished:

Orlanthi
Of course, you know them and their culture (and Praxians) are dominant characters for Glorantha Game thorough the development of this world. Because for Greg Stafford's preference to old Germanic and Norman heritage, and that of his supporter's to it. I can call them they were mainstream of Glorantha. And they loves Mythology, Legends and Folktales. Their magic is derived from it. And they loves heroes and their pragmatic life and indifference to metaphysics usually ignore the inconsistency to "heroes" to their community, because in their society, Uleria's love of flesh is closely connected to their love of spirituality as trolls. (Of course there is some (many?) exceptions.)

In my opinion, by mature Orlanthi generally knows part of these tales and actually participates most of them superficially in everyday life. (As far as I see them as a contraposition of Dara Happans through Greg Stafford vision, I think it hints something)

One Storm Voice of Wind Temple, Heortland
*Secret of Seven Winds (Alakoring, Heort, Argrath)
(See Last Chapter of Argrath's Saga in King of Sartar, Esoteric Force helped him through Draconic Energy....) I think it was connected to Orlanth's Six Virtues and Eight Stars of Broken Ring, and Nine Doors of Karulinoran. Orlanthi believes life force depending on Freedom and Breathe of Living People---that is connected to Ernalda's Earth. And they revere the Winds as a Force which controls Glorantha.

 Upper, Lower, None, West, East, South, North: See TR p. 118 & 241 are the Seven Directions sacred for Orlanthi, and there are hidden (metaphysical? cosmological?) meaning for each of them. And IMHO there is descrepancy between the Sect of Four Wind and that of Seven Wind in the Old Wind Temple of Heortland. (Some says Hidden Winds are secret weapon against Lunars.) Argrath's Seven Dragons

From Gwandorling Saga 15
<<Far Storm, headed by Utguard wished to use their power and knowledge to help Orlanthi in the world, they wanted to help Argrath throw off the evil Red Empire.

Closed Storm, led by Gaid the Stern, a tired old man, thought that the outside world had nothing to do with them and they owed it nothing. They served the Storm in their own way and that should not change.

Old Storm, led by Kjal Beastbase, wants to Stormwalkers to support King Bryon. Kjal had fough against Telmori under Jon and was against aiding Argrath because he had allied with the Telmori.

The Heroic Storm, led by [.....], thought that this world was only a mask of the Otherside and that the war should be fought and won there. They did not care for kingdoms or clans. >>

*Lightbringer's Quest (Harmast, Aringor, Garundyer)
In Thunder Rebels, there is Annual Ritual for Sacred Time. (Orlanthi believe the Doom like Great Darkness struck again them if they could not properly perform this ritual.) modelled LBQ for every Orlanthi clan. But it was superficial ritual enacting for maintain the World of Cosmic Compromise properly (though Peter Metcalph said there is no Cosmic Compromise Myth before Dara Happans joined the Second Council for creating God. Some says Hengall's "I fought, we won" Myth occupies similar position for their society before Harmast induced it.) I think some of failed attempt taught us the difficulty of this Quest like Karsten and Kallyr. And there is Seven Mother Ritual brought back Red Moon from Hell. (I think Arkat was rescued from Hell unintentionally by Harmast as an Eclispse against Bright Empire, as Orlanth brought back Sun, and Argrath brought back "Pain Star" from Hell. And Aringor brought back Incarnate of Life..Uleria? But this idea is perfectly from my own.)

Ernalda's Hero Quest (Lifebringer's Quest?) Worldwide

*Second Son's Mythology (I fought, we won: Orlanthi Version)
Each Initiation Ritual to Adulthood, My image for it (Atlas and Hercules) might not be inappropriate for Greg's image of "Harmast's Saga". (I read it in Tales #18 Greydog Campaign Scenario) But it should teach happiness of responsibility and duty inside their adulthood, and IMHO every Initiands are tested as once Hengall was tested.

*Well of Wisdom

Orlanth once tried to gain Wisdom for rule his Kingdom (Teleportation Power?) and he fought in the Realm of Water and Sea Gods (Wachaza (Worcha?) and Magasta) and finally got a cup of Wisdom and found Mastakos at the bottom of his cup, and he could not succeed Lightbringer's Quest, Bath of Nelat if he didn't experience the trial of Bath of Nelat at that Quest. See Syranthir's Quest Many Myth for Questing Wisdom

*Other Hero Quests of Orlanthi (TR & ST, KoDP)
Jarani's Staff it vs Antirius Precept: both are final judgement but different: Limited to only Heortling (not Haranding) Taming of Sky Bulls: Only near of Stormwalk Mountain, Gorangi Vak HQ