Well of Wisdom

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 19:56:37 +0900

Hello.

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 14:27:21 +0100 (BST)
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Simon=20Phipp?= <soltakss_at_yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Orlanthi HQ
> To: glorantha_at_rpglist.org
>
> TERRA INCOGNITA wrote:
>
> > I think some of failed attempt taught us
> > the difficulty of this Quest like Karsten and Kallyr. And there is Seven
> > Mother Ritual brought back Red Moon from Hell. (I think Arkat was
rescued
> > from Hell unintentionally by Harmast as an Eclispse against Bright
Empire,
> > as Orlanth brought back Sun, and Argrath brought back "Pain Star" from
Hell.
> > And Aringor brought back Incarnate of Life..Uleria? But this idea is
> > perfectly from my own.)
>
> Harmast brought back Arkat, who turned to Darkness, then he did it again
and brought back Talor,
> who laughed a lot. The idea of Arkat eclipsing the Bright Empire is a nice
one, but whether this
> was intentional or a mistake, I'm not sure.

My idea is completely unofficial about "Planet Beings in Hell in LBQ". As you know, the Planet of Life (Uleria) = the Planet of Teleportation (Mastakos) never stay in Hell....except during the Great Darkness. And this is my vague associated imagination, Love = Life is the Source of Vitality...means the Serpent from Force of Humanity. Maybe Golden Dragon Society called it Berneel Arashagern, Kralori might call it Power of Daruda (Kundalini?) And that Power of Life induced EWF by Narnarra and Aringor. Perfectly IMHO.

> > *Well of Wisdom
> > Orlanth once tried to gain Wisdom for rule his Kingdom (Teleportation
> > Power?) and he fought in the Realm of Water and Sea Gods (Wachaza
(Worcha?)
> > and Magasta) and finally got a cup of Wisdom and found Mastakos at the
> > bottom of his cup, and he could not succeed Lightbringer's Quest, Bath
of
> > Nelat if he didn't experience the trial of Bath of Nelat at that Quest.
See
> > Syranthir's Quest Many Myth for Questing Wisdom
>
> Orlanth probably fought with Wachaza during the Well of Wisdom Quest.
Worcha was another,
> different, deity whom The Thunder Rebels defeated early on in the Storm
Age.

> Did Orlanth gain Mastakos here? I know he took a drink from the Well of
Wisdom that made him
> realise how foolish he had been, but I can't remember if he picked up his
charioteer here. I would
> think that Mastakos came from another trip to the seaside.
>
> Yes, Orlanth could not have survived the test in Hell without having
undergone the baths of Nelat
> ordeal first. I think that this probably applies to anyone performing the
LBQ, htye have to have
> performed Baths of Nelat first.

See Thunder Rebels p. 224, "Orlanth quested mightily for a power that would let him anywhere in the cosmos."
But it didn't say it's the sole purpose of Orlanth for the Quest.

And please see Glorantha Con Compendium 4 p.57-59 (though you might not have it...), statement of Sandy Petersen why the Test of Fire of Ehilm was replaced to Bath of Truth by Harmast, I think if this can be performed in future, (no one can never succeed it!) maybe Argrath Sharpsword performs during his sailing with Harrek. IMHO.

Odin sacrificed one of his eyes for drinking from the Mimir's Well. And Shiva and Vishnu fought fiercely against Ashras for Amrita, IIRC. And Holy Grail....it is another quest to fight the one's half...unconsciousness.

The Island of Black Introspection seems appearing in Greg's Western Mythic Age Map. (King of Sartar)

During the Lightbringer's Quest: Shargash (Jagrekriand) destroyed Orlanth's Chariot, so after it, Orlanth walked. (King of Sartar)

Anyway these are written for C02, but maybe Mark Galeotti doesn't need such vague scribbling...(Or already time is over?) Anyway, I now try to Hero Quest of Dara Happans on the contrary of Heortling, IMHO they usually perform it as national ceremonies (performers are usually emperors, city governors or generals?) and don't use the barbarous term "heroquest" for it.

TI