Re: Discussion becomes Documentation

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:48:28 +0200

Greg :

> The discussion being forwarded so diligently by Julian is entertaining and
> occasionally interesting, but ultimately unsettlable.

Ultimately unsettlable, sure ; but settlable from _a_ particular POV, case in point : the GL one. Anyways ...

> It is sometimes a bit frustrating to see it go on and on

True, but as long as some sort of headway is made, even slowly (as opposed to the 100% unsettlable and conceptually static Great Gods thread, etc), the discussions retain some sort of pertinence. IMO

>. I occasionally

> tire of these discussions because they cannot be settled. They are out of
> context because they are of Earth, not Glorantha.

It's true that the GL POV and the Earth POV are _very_ easily confused.

> Rather than arguing endlessly on these matters I would really like to see
> them presented as a Gloranthan document.
> That is, Julian could write up a document that presents his theory as a
> Gloranthan theory.
> It would be in context. It could be used in a game. It
> could be tested, in Glorantha, for its veracity, using the HeroQuest
> Challenge. A HeroQuest adventure would be to test theories.

Sure !

> I would love to see this happen more. I occasionally tire of people trying
> to convince me (or each other) of the truth in Glorantha. I would love to
> see these things presented as a Gloranthan document and then put into the
> HeroQuest context for testing.

:-)

> Rather than trying to determine "what Glorantha is" or "What Glorantha has
> been," a more fertile context would be to set forth a discerned truth and
> then determine "What Glorantha is going to be."
> This is the essence of the Hero Wars.

Being vs Becoming vs Game & Gameplay, et cetera. Sure !!

> This would move the Hero Wars forward, contribute to the game, to your and
> others' campaigns and present oodles of data for people to play with.
> Is this possible?

That is in fact one of my main motivations for presenting this kind of theory, and I'm usually happy to let people take the suggestions or leave them, but more formalised HQ game writings are certainly a possibility, yes : I'm happy to consider it a HQ game project.

Julian Lord