Touching on Illusion again

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 08:49:52 -0700

At 05:48 AM 6/7/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
>Good plan. You promise not to spike any of them? ;-)
I have a very different attitude about in-Glorantha documents. I have less tendency to later them. After all, it is the opinion of a Gloranthan, who may not be well informed either.

>Personally I find it hard enough to turn out a decent Glorantha-level
>document corresponding to things I (think I) _do_ understand. Doing
>it for things I'm pretty sure I don't is all the harder.
My point exactly, though.
Using Julian's example again: if he presented a GL document to prove his point then it would be right or wrong depending on its merits in the game.

>From: "Julian Lord" <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
>Which begs the question : what would one call a Gloranthan magician
>who used mind tricks/hypnosis/hallucination/Light powers/Smoke
>and Mirrors/whatever to create false and unreal things that disappeared
>with a wave of the hand, a gust of wind, etc ?
Prestidigitator? Entertainer?

>but the deepest conceptually meaningful problem (I think) is that
>the statement "A nonsubjective Truth exists" (essentially meaning,
>"Truth is Truth") is a subjective statement, and therefore (at least
>partially) False.

Yes, absolutely. This is the point of mysticism: you can never actually know it, just experience it.

>> This would have
>> to be an Absolute Truth, which is a mystical concept, and as such is
>> (be definition) beyond the ken of mere mortals (who are, by
>> definition, finite.)
>Absolute Truth isn't a mystical concept from the GL POV, although it
>_is_ a mystical essence. Including Greg's normal use of the word
>"transcendent".

If it is not a mystical concept, then therein lies the essential error of the GL.

>From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
>Certainly. Just tell us all the God Leaerner secret,
>so that we can go write nice HeroQuest Challenges from
>a God Learner point of view. ;->

>From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com>
>> > Don't the Buddhists have examples of people who have achieved
>enlightnment
>> > but have chosen to return to help people here? =
>> Buddha, for one ... ;-)

Greg Stafford, greg_at_glorantha.com
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>