The Truth of Illusion

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:14:33 -0400

 =

> with a wave of the hand, a gust of wind, etc ?
We (as players and narrators) should call him something other than an illusionist because 'Illusion' is one of those words that has a different=

meaning in Glorantha from the one we're used to using in our world and other game systems. If we were starting from scratch, a better name for the Illusion rune would be Creation.

I doubt there are many Gloranthans who can make the distinction.

> But there are * some * Runic limitations to what you can and can't do =

> can't create Illusory Primal Chaos (a logical fallacy). Trying to creat=
an =

> Illusory Boggle would be an inherently self-contradictory magical act. =

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Primal' here. But, any chaotic being, or any boggle, is a thing with existence in Glorantha. Therefore, it was created by Illusion - because EVERYTHING was. Therefore, someone with Illusion powers can create another one.

 =

> Illusions are more like their D&D counterparts than you're suggesting.

No, because the spoon, once made, is a REAL spoon (as real as anything el= se
in this totally illusory world).

These discussions are bedevilled by the D&D approach to illusions, with t= he
concept of 'disbelief' as a counter to them. As I understand it, the onl= y
way 'disbelieving an illusion' occurs in Glorantha occurs when a Mystic uses some sort of Refute power. And Refute powers work on anything in th= e
world, because everything in the world is an illusion.

Quite apart from any philosophical aspects, I think this approach to 'illusion' has great advantages for the process of running a game. The whole D&D-based approach to illusions and disbelief is filled with contradictions - I've never seen a satisfactory theory which deals with such chestnuts as whether an illusory torch will light up a cave, or what=

happens if the cave is an illusion and some but not all of the party ceas= e
to believe in it.

Andrew