What to call an Illusionist and/or Lunar; Pots

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer2_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:52:59 -0700

Greg sez:

> >Which begs the question : what would one call a Gloranthan magician
> >who used mind tricks/hypnosis/hallucination/Light powers/Smoke
> >and Mirrors/whatever to create false and unreal things that disappeared
> >with a wave of the hand, a gust of wind, etc ?
> Prestidigitator? Entertainer?

Jedi? =)

Edward G McDonald:
> As you may know, British soldiers were nicknamed Tommies (from Kipling'ss
> Tommy Atkins) and Russians were Ivan. Now what would Lunar soldiers be??

In my campaign Lunars, even in civies, were often identifiable by the Moon symbols on the pommels of their weapons, hence the nickname "Pommy" or more often "Pommy Bastard." :)

Benedict Adamson asks:
>What is the difference between a pot and an illusionary pot?

All pots are manifestations of the Primal Pot? Does Beat Pot Alwin gain some of his powers from a mythic connection with, or having defeated, the Pot Spirit a la Harek and the bear cloak?

 Gary R Switzer
Aero Hobbies

"To make potted meat."

"Place meat, bacon, water and red wine into a crock. On a floured board roll out pastry slightly larger than the top edge of the crock. Lay the pastry over the crock and crimp it securely, sealing the crock as tightly as possible. Set in a shallow water bath and bake for 3 hours. Take the crock out of the oven, remove and discard (or eat) the crust. Strain the meat, reserving the liquid. Pound the meat to a fine puree, add mace, cayenne, clarified butter, salt and pepper to taste and enough of the cooking liquid to moisten the meat (the less liquid you add, the longer the meat will keep). Pack the meat tightly into a buttered crock. Pour clarified butter over the meat so that it is completely sealed. Set in a cool, dry place and keep for at least two weeks before using. Note: 'potted meat' is commonly used in Kithori lands to refer to any warrior wearing a breastplate or cuirass."