Terminology

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:32:50 GMT

>From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>

>I have a question concerning terminology:
>
>How would a Gloranthan (let's say a Heortling, a
>Lunar, a Praxian,as Malkioni) refer to the "actual" or
>"material" world/plane if he wants to define it in
>contrast to the heroplane/godplane/spirit plane/adept
>plane?
>
>I think something like:
>
>Heortling: lesser world or midworld
>Lunar: (still) unredeemed world
>Praxian: flesh and soil world
>Malkioni: Sorrow world
>
>but I'd like to know different opinions.

Would the Heortlings want to make the distinction? I can imagine a Heortling talking about Orlanth's stead exactly the same way he talks about his neighbour's. After all parts of the heroplane are more familiar to him than the Lunar cities.

The Praxians would probably use Genertela - not distinguishing between the physical world, the continent and the bit they live in which used to be Genert's garden.

The Lunars will have a variety of names depending on which particular variation of Lunar belief they follow although I suspect the average Lunar doesn't really bother about such things. They just worship the Red Moon which is quite obviously in the physical world. More educated individuals would make the distinction though.

Just a few ideas with the intention of creating cultures which don't share modern concepts.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/