Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #120 - 10 msgs

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:43:51 EDT

In a message dated 17/06/02 10:49:11 GMT Daylight Time, glorantha-request_at_rpglist.org writes:

<< Anyone know what "Boche" comes from? I've never figured that out.  Also, what about "Krauts"? I >>

Bit off topic but "Kraut" comes from Sauerkraut. There is a bit of an english  tradition of calling people by what they are famous for eating. I think this is reciprocated by the French who call us "ros biffs". I think the Japanese also referred to europeans as "butter-stinking". Even regional variations exist, for example Wigan "pie eaters".

Following this culinary logic I guess the Dara Happans might call Heortlings Beefeaters, the Uz might call them "finikerty".

Keith