slang for lunars

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:52:48 -0400

On Tuesday, June 18, 2002, at 05:58 AM, Andrew Barton wrote:

> Do we know of any common Lunar dishes which would be an equivalent?

MOB would say "gin" I think.

So they could be ginnies.

The american slang "yankee" comes from a long trip.

French "l'englieze" (the english--forgive the spelling)

became

various indian tribes " yengeze"

became

yankees

I'm reminded of a story told to me by a friend once stationed in Korea. A couple of good old southern boys were on leave and in a bar. Several Korean gents had drunk a bit and started trying to pick a fight by talking trash about "those damn yankees." To which the GIs agreed heartily, toasted the Koreans and sent them drinks. They hated yankees too, as all redneck southern boys do.

By way of pointing out that slang inside the empire may be applied too broadly outside the empire.

Mike

Mike Dawson mdawson_at_mac.com
"Pavis isn't about happy endings."
http://herowars.onestop.net"