Re: Peltasts, Maran/Babs

From: Nick Brooke <nick_at_etyries.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:48:55 +0100

Gregory asks:

> About the lunar peltasts...

Have a look at "Tarsh War" for more Peltast artwork and descriptions. You're right in everything you say -- they're skirmishers, irregulars, and in TW at least they deliberately "customise" whatever uniform they are issued (think of US troops in Vietnam). Camouflage, dull colours, etc. are entirely in keeping -- these are *not* smart soldiers in red uniforms with shiny equipment who advance in step.

(I fondly remember the surprise when they fought *brilliantly* in a "Tarsh War" session I ran last month -- everyone had assumed they were crap slackers, because that's how they came across when there was no fighting to be done).

See also the Moonrunner Peltasts in Tales #17 for another great picture and unit description.

> About Maran Gor and Babeester Gor

Again, have a look at "Tarsh War" for Tarsh Exile artwork and descriptions. "Unspoken Word" #1 & 2 are also great sources, and UW #1 has the full cult of Maran Gor for Hero Wars, which should answer most of your questions. Maran Gor is *big* in Exile Tarsh (well, she's "big" anywhere, but you know what I mean), and Babeester Gor is found both there and down south in Esrolia (which appears to be where the founders of the Shaker Temple came from).

> Which one is the more numerous (in cultists).

That's easy: Maran Gor has more cultists by far.

> I remember that maran high priestes are pretty fat, are the babeester
> ones fat too ?

Gets in the way of combat effectiveness, I'd have thought. But *fat* Babeester Gor cultists are fat, certainly.

> Last question is do you have an idea of those cults main color?

Greens, reds, blacks, browns...

> Oh, i forgot, which ones of maran's or babeester's cultists are red
> haired women ?

The red-haired ones of either. (They aren't colour-coded as distinctively as Vingans, who dye their hair red).

> i don t know what is difference between hw list and glo digest....

See www.etyries.com/lists.htm for an attempt at an explanation. The HW list would have been a fine place for these questions, but so too is the Digest.

Cheers, Nick