BB and Maran Gor

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_primus.com.au>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 22:43:34 +1000

My companions passed within, to the fire-bright crystal shelter of the womb cave. I made to follow, unsure of my role, when I found my entrance full blocked by an axe-dancing demoness.

“Hrrraaaiiiii!”

It leered, screaming at me in some ancient and unhuman tongue. Karis flew into my grasp, raised to cut the monster if it advanced. I glimpsed violet, pupil-less eyes. Pale green-brown skin, knotted and rough, intergrown with shining sheets of copper. Otherness. A burnished axe festooned with grisly trophies-scalps, genitalia, finger bones.

°ˆA Mreli. Earth Guardian. Pure with Death.ˆ°

It's great that this topic has come up. The physical appearance of Gloranthans really doesn't get enough attention, and It's been occupying my attention much of late as I've struggled with my first Heortling 3D figures and questions like: 'clan tartans - yes, no maybe, like what?', 'torcs - silver, iron or tin?' and the perennial: 'Fighting Ernaldans: dresses vs sensible woollies?'

I've not too much to add to what has already been said. I very much like the idea of small square shields. For me, Earth colours are primarily rich autumn reds, coppers, red browns and greens, together with your more usual by products of madder and woad. Nysalora-come-lately doesn't have a monopoly on red, nor is it confined to vingans.

I think of Ernaldan 'fashion' as delighting in geometric, figurative designs of plants, animals and humans as well as the more usual runes. Hair styles are usually simple, married women wearing their hair in braids. There is a very precise tribal code that details marital and cultic status by the way you set your hair. I see BB Gori as making more use of limed hair and wild hairstyles such as mohawks to signify their umm liminal status, while Maran Gori will tend to go for richly oiled tresses.

The Maran Gor rune is the divided earth rune: I'm sure this 'division' motif would feature in other ways in clothing and decoration as well. Ditto for BB's 'razor rune'.

HOW TO IDENTIFY BB GORI

  1. Is it a woman? This is always a good preliminary indicator. Go to 2.
  2. Is she drunk? If she is and you are too, and you're both outside the feasting hall, you may be safe. If she's foaming at the lips with blood beer, possibly not. Go to 3.
  3. Is she screaming at you, or otherwise hissing and spitting? Yes? If she's using your first name, its probably your wife or sister. Relax, unless your sister is a known BB Gori. Otherwise, run away very quickly, or go to 4.
  4. Is the ground trembling and shaking? Yes? Relax, its only a Maran Gori, a very large troll, a thunder beast stampede, or the fall of the red moon. Check again to make sure its not just your knees rattling. If all is quiet, run away very quickly, or go to 5. If the moon has fallen, have a drink on me.
  5. Is she carrying a big copper axe? Yes? Oh dear. And is the axe festooned with a collection of castrated goolies? It is? Here's hoping you've got a Movement feat. Whatever you do, don't call her 'Babs'. Run away very quickly, convert immediately to Nandan, or go to 6.
  6. Check the wing decals (tats and body paint) as you cower behind your shield. You don't have a shield? Do this bit very quickly then. If she *is* painted, you may want to skip the entire section and imitate the wind. It's very simple really. White on the right and green on the left means you're relatively safe, unless you're dead already. She's killing spirits. Red hands and feet with black arms and legs means you and all your male buddies are in for it. It's an "I don't like men night". Red and yellow face with with yellow and red stripes along the arms and legs means your entire bloodline or clan is for it, so you won't die alone. Anything else is a cult secret, and you really shouldn't be asking.

Have a nice night.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_iprimus.com.au                           John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

And if the earthly no longer knows your name, Whisper to the silent earth: I'm flowing. To the flashing water say: I Am.