Re: Glorantha digest, Vol 9 #122 - 12 msgs

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_sierratel.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:04:11 -0700

> >About the lunar peltasts, I ve made the choice to use thracian tribal
> >warriors, essentially because they got that first quarter moon shaped
> >shield. For what i remember from thunder rebel, those troups are good at
> >pursuit and ambushes and (here i m not sure) close to what miniatures
> >wargamers call "irregular" troops. The question is do they wear an
uniform
> >like dress ? I wonder, because i do not figure thoses men dressed in red
and
> >preparing ambushes in the woods. Are they more like bush rangers in
dressing
> >principle ? (wearing disparate clothes and a red piece of tissue around
the
> >neck ?) dressed in green and brown ? are just the shields reds and other
> >clothes in different colors ? any idea is welcome. Of course there s
> >probably a lot of different peltasts units, but if you want to choose one
as
> >the "this is what the peltasts of the red army look like for me", please
say
> >it.
>
> Tarsh War describes peltasts wearing armour and equipment so shabby and
> battered that it must be deliberate with what gear they haven't abandoned
> wrapped up in their cloaks. This may of course be a prejudiced observers
> opinion. There is no reason for red to be such a poor colour for ambushes
> when you consider that only modern dyes produce the brilliant reds we
> are used to. Given they are regular Imperial soldiers rather than militia
> I would expect them to have a fancy parade uniform but campaign dress
> being much more subdued and shabby.

Note that not all elements of the "Lunar Army" wear red. The Empire encompasses many different nationalities, and similar troops between nations may wear quite dissimilar armor, weapons, and clothes. Units who retain the "old style" of their nationality will wear their traditional clothes, while only a few units are really "Imperial Lunar" who would go for the Red-and-White or Red-and- Black look. "Uniforms" would tend more towards the same color but in different shades than regimented "All troops will wear 'Napa Red' tunics".

My own troops vary from regimented, all-one-color-pot tunics, to "well, this green is close to blue, I'll use that". Of course, I've got at least three lunar armies (Late Roman Empire, Greek/Macedonian, and Middle East Fantasy) plus some special units that don't fit any of those categories (Feathered Lancers from Rinliddi based on Polish Winged Hussars), so I've had plenty of opportunity to paint uniforms or not :-).

The Tarsh War peltasts are modled on late Imperial Roman (ca. 300-500 AD), while Thracians (picking up the Foundry deal?) are much earlier - (400-200 BC). So calling both "Peltasts" means that they fight in the same manner, but equipment-wise they have entirely different looks.

As far as clothing, you can do what you like! Dress them in brown, grey and green tartan for the camouflage look, or drab clothes with subtle colors picked out for trim, or "Imperial" colors (in suitable muted tones); put them in uniform, or not. Foundry has pictures of Thracian peltasts in their "Shop" section - check under "Thracian Collection".

Roderick