Re: Norumic Shamans

From: Jerome Blondel <bwbfc_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:55:06 +0200

Peter Metcalfe:

> >Surely I'd better say "all Pamaltela" instead of Pamalt. This is the
> >pulsation of Langamul which is crucial to Life.
>
> But I don't think that Pamaltings feel a pulsation of life inside
> themselves and call it Langamul. They have spirits but they wouldn't
> call it Langamul.

They probably feel it at every Sacred Time.

> > > [Pamalt's] not the first person - that was Noruma.
>
> >Ok, he's first "I am". He was a person only after he knew who the
> >others were.
>
> I think it better to say that he became a person after the others
> named him.

Yup.

> Looking it up further, I see that Adoration is listed as part of the
> Norumic Traditions that also include Penance and Transformation
> (Revealed Mythologies p49). So it seem to me that Shamans
> adore, suffer at the hands of the Bad Man and become transformed.

I didn't see those things as a sequence in first place. I think you're right.

> What I'm not grokking, I suppose, is the cosmologicial nature of
> the Shaman's status. Is his ability to separate his spirit from his
> body the result of his spiritual integration of Dead Earthmaker?

Apparently, their adoring the horned serpent results with the ability to separate their spirit from their body and subsequent integration of Dead Earthmaker.

> If so, can one be a Shaman dedicated to another Great Spirit?

All spirits are parts of Dead Earthmaker. But it's too dangerous to summon it in the material world, so IMO they have to confine to one Tradition (the one they've initiated in) which is relatively safe because they understand those spirits. Probably Norumic shamanism is so powerful because it involves to adore, suffer and transform again and again.

> >I think shamans can show the other world to other people so that
> >they can experience it. Adorators cannot do that, they can only
> >help others get the experience by themselves.
>
> I'm not so sure. Holy people and sacred chiefs can open paths to
> the Otherworld and they appear to be Adorators.

Indeed... :-)

> >Amuron is a disembodied entity, so in order to deal with it shamans
> >must leave their body and this is dangerous.
>
> But apparently so too are the other Great Spirits (Pamalt, Waha etc).

Well, if this has nothing to do with Amuron being disembodied, then maybe the distinction comes from that only shamans can leave the sacred burning circle, possibly when their community faces unusual situations, and bring the right spirit to deal with it and fix it.

Jerome

Do You Yahoo!?