Good and Bad Aspect of GTA policy

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:26:46 +0900

Peter:

> I think it better to state that Adorators cannot be Shamans but that
raises
> the question of what Shamans are supposed to be? Adorators of the
> Horned Serpent?
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

In my humble opinion, Jerome should leave matter off what is not settled in official materials. (and write about there is not official opinion enough)

Sorry for I could not responding Chris's post though he kindly defended my clumsiness....

As an example (trickster scapegoat?) singled out by rightful criticism....I thank Chris for his defense for my recent act: I don't want to infringe our mutual agreements again.

>Since I appear to be a minority of one, I'll shut up >about it, but it
would have been much more clear >(hint, hint) if the GTA site actually said what Rick >suggests as a standard:

I don't think you are in minority, but most of Gloranthaphiles under the "Naxili Garang Syndrome: Attempt to remove Trollkin Curse. (why did you conjure Black Eater? See Uz Lore Book)" So they don't say anything though they feel frustration. Without GTA member financial support, Greg might have failed to Hero Wars and /or founded Issaries Company without it.

I think GTA policy for Greg's WIP Archive is a sort of necessary evil.

Richard Meints:
> 1. Keep the discussions of the material and key
> facts to an absolute minimum outside a GTA audience.

> 2. State your opinion on things, which could
> possibly be influenced by GTA site info, but don't
> quote the GTA sites as your source, just keep it as
> your opinion.

Yes, I feel nervous for my graffiti about Alakoring...he will go to Dragon Pass and fight EWF by next turn. I think Graham's warning was timely.

> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:41:18 -0700
> To: glorantha_at_rpglist.org
> From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
> Subject: GTA Archives quoting
>
> At 05:51 AM 6/25/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_albionsoft.com>
> >Subject: Re: GTA Archives quoting
>
> >>However, it seems pretty unfair to say that we can't
> >>quote or paraphrase a single, isloated, relatively
> >>minor fact at a time out of it, as Terra did in this
> >>instance. Is that really, truly the policy? Anything
> >>obtained from the GTA archives are to be esoteric
> >>knowledge only shared with those that we confirm are
> >>also entitled to see it? Where do we get the secret
> >>handshake?
> >
> >As far as I am aware, yes, this is the policy. Terra Icognita's
> >infringement is, indeed, minor. But better to draw a line here than set a
> >precedent. I certainly don't want to be in the position of deciding which
> >infractions are 'serious enough' to break the policy.
>
> I am interested to know what others in the GTA feel about this. We will
set
> up a site on the GTA pages for discussion for pe0ople who have an opinion.
> I don't think this is the place for GTA business.
>
> For myself: people have paid money to become insiders, with acccess to
this
> information. To distribute it otherwise seems to be a violation of the
> agreement that everyone has made.

I approve Greg's intention for considering about opinions of recent GTA members. Some of new-monopolists (at least, some part of me is such kind of nature, I feel.) will not want to make materials into public only for egoistic concern. But we don't get materialistic profit from Unofficial Materials....at least for now, I think.

> From: Daniel Buterbaugh <buter1_at_yahoo.com>

> I think you are missing the point he is trying to
> make. Having information kept secret is very
> irritating, especially when people come off with the
> attitude "Only we are allowed to know this. The rest
> of you just have to wait". I'm sorry, but this is very
> poor public policy. All it will serve to do is
> alienate newcomers to the game. There are plenty of
> other settings and companies out there who will gladly
> take the money that would be spent on Issaries'
> products. Many people who happen to see posts like the
> ones I copied just tend to get pissed off and might
> think, "Well, screw them. I'll play D&D".

Sorry, Greg, I feel some sympathy toward his attitude.......

Imagine the Future of GTA Community...

http://rudnaya.tripod.com/books/Alice1.html

http://www.lewiscarroll.org/graph.html

Imagine we are under the Wave of Slontos....(Or imagine participating HQ out of any order and purpose....)

Mad Hatter (Chris Lemens)
March Hare (Richard Meints)
Dore Mouse (Terra Incognita)

Alice (Anyone who wants to play in the Great Temple of Trickster Arkati)

First, See here for our situation.
http://rudnaya.tripod.com/books/alice25a.gif

<< `I want a clean cup,' interrupted the Hatter: `let's all move one place on.'

  He moved on as he spoke, and the Dormouse followed him: the March Hare moved into the Dormouse's place, and Alice rather unwillingly took the place of the March Hare. The Hatter was the only one who got any advantage from the change: and Alice was a good deal worse off than before, as the March Hare had just upset the milk-jug into his plate.>>

Dore Mouse:
My emotion toward GTA policy is complicated as an Initiate (least-sacrificed martyr).

March Hare:
I know there are two aspects of Glorantha. The one is that of Greg Stafford's own universe. The other is gameable material for HW, RQ, KODP, PenDragonpass, etc....

Mad Hatter:
Some of Gloranthaphiles are wealthy, others are poor. Some are fanatical, others are not. (And the groups might be overlap but are never the same.)

Dore Mouse:
Some wants to make Shrine for GS and call him as a sort of "Shadow over earth reflected from Allah" or something. Very dangerous.

March Hare:
But creativity for Glorantha is finally all derived from Greg.
>From my POV, Greg is not immortal and he might die tomorrow for accident.

Mad Hatter:
And I don't like increase of "Work in
Progress" materials. Greg feels secure because as far as they are WIP, he can feel relief. Vice from consequence IMHO. He slowed down his work.....

Dore Mouse:
Other wants to play RPG through Glorantha and thinks it is quite good for background. Many of them are indifferent to esoteric matters for they are light users.

Mad Hatter:
 And it seems that Greg himself sometimes ignore the policy, if we strictly consider the policy like secret society, Greg should also consider about other men's yes or no before he reveal it! laughable.

Dore Mouse:
I can feel future Metal Fatigue of GTA System. Maybe as Medieval Christian Church, sometimes GTA policy might oppress future creativity of Glorantha....I think moderately, gradually and slow and steadly Greg's Archive should be open to public.....

May I convince you enough? (Or do you want to put me in teapot together?) http://rudnaya.tripod.com/books/alice27a.gif

<< This piece of rudeness was more than Alice could bear: she got up in great disgust, and walked off; the Dormouse fell asleep instantly, and neither of the others took the least notice of her going, though she looked back once or twice, half hoping that they would call after her: the last time she saw them, they were trying to put the Dormouse into the teapot.

  `At any rate I'll never go THERE again!' said Alice as she picked her way through the wood. `It's the stupidest tea-party I ever was at in all my life!'>>