Re: Animism

From: Jerome Blondel <bwbfc_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:57:03 +0200

Peter Metcalfe:

(The pulsation of Langamul)
> >They probably feel it at every Sacred Time.
>
> Given that the Orlanthi don't feel the Silence every sacred time,
> I'm less convinced.

I could not find any definition of the pulsation of Langamul. I'm not sure either what the Orlanthi call Silence, although they might feel it in the Court of Silence.

Since Garangordos had an insight of the pulsation of Langamul when he returned from his Life Quest and brought the Ompalam, i thought that it could be generalized as the annual cosmic rebirth, which sounds quite the time when Langamul would manifest.

> > > If so, can one be a Shaman dedicated to another Great Spirit?
>
> >All spirits are parts of Dead Earthmaker.
>
> I don't think this is a useful statement. There's a clear hierarchy
> of difference between disembodied spirits, great spirits/giants and
> earth maker. Saying that these are all parts of the Dead Earthmaker
> doesn't help us in ascertaining whether a Shaman can be dedicated to
> another Great Spirit or not.

I'd say yes he can. In summary, other Great Spirits' demesnes are all inside the Great Horned Serpent's demesne which, as far as i can see, is the (Doraddi) Spirit World. The (potential) fetch always comes from a particular demesne here.

If that's another Great Spirit on the same level of hierarchy as the Doraddi's Earth Maker, then i'd say yes too, elsewhere in Glorantha.

> > > But apparently so too are the other Great Spirits (Pamalt, Waha
> > > etc).
>
> >Well, if this has nothing to do with Amuron being disembodied, then
> >maybe the distinction comes from that only shamans can leave the
> >sacred burning circle, possibly when their community faces unusual
> >situations, and bring the right spirit to deal with it and fix it.
>
> But other animists can leave the sacred burning circle to go onto the
> Spirit World.

Better say that Shamans go to the spirit world and are autonomous and able to travel there & find what they're looking for. Maybe one could say that they understand the cosmic laws that underlie the Spirit World.

Jerome

Do You Yahoo!?