Doraddi Shamanism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 22:50:53 +1200

Jerome Blondel:

> > Given that the Orlanthi don't feel the Silence every sacred time,
> > I'm less convinced.

>I could not find any definition of the pulsation of Langamul. I'm
>not sure either what the Orlanthi call Silence, although they might
>feel it in the Court of Silence.

The Silence is different from the Court of Silence.

>Since Garangordos had an insight of the pulsation of Langamul when
>he returned from his Life Quest and brought the Ompalam, i thought
>that it could be generalized as the annual cosmic rebirth, which
>sounds quite the time when Langamul would manifest.

I disagree for the very simple reason that Langamul (through Bolongo's actions) lies beyond what is reachable through ordinary animism. What everybody gets now is Amuron at best (who is difficult to reach).

> > Saying that [these spirits] are all parts of the Dead Earthmaker
> > doesn't help us in ascertaining whether a Shaman can be dedicated to
> > another Great Spirit or not.

>I'd say yes he can. In summary, other Great Spirits' demesnes are all
>inside the Great Horned Serpent's demesne which, as far as i can see,
>is the (Doraddi) Spirit World. The (potential) fetch always comes from
>a particular demesne here.

A fetch is not a sign of dedication to a great spirit as there are several brands of Shamanism that do not have a fetch. Secondly the Fetch has been described in the HW as part of the self. I'm not stating that it is impossible for Doraddi (or Hsunchen or Praxians) to have fetches that are autonomous spirits from the spirit world - but rather it's unwise to define shamanism in terms of a particular brand of shaman.

>If that's another Great Spirit on the same level of hierarchy as the
>Doraddi's Earth Maker, then i'd say yes too, elsewhere in Glorantha.

Earthmaker is the spiritual progenitor of Glorantha (or rather the progenitor of Glorantha as understood by some spiritualists). There is no Great Spirit on the same level of hierarchy as him.

>Better say that Shamans go to the spirit world and are autonomous
>and able to travel there & find what they're looking for.

The trouble I have with this statement is that it means non-Shamanic Animists are hopeless heroquesters (which is also the problem I have with the current slant of Animism rules in HW:RiG).

>Maybe one could say that they understand the cosmic laws that
>underlie the Spirit World.

I prefer not to invoke Malkioni concepts in a description of what Shamanism is and is not. Instead I want a statement of what it means to be a shaman in animistic terms (life, death, spirit, integration, ecstatic communion etc).

--Peter Metcalfe