Re: Raccoonity

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 17:17:25 +0100

>>> Both, AFAIK. The Vanchite types are theists, and related to (I believe)
>>> the Orlanthi peoples rather than to the hsunchen - there is no
>>> cultural/historical link between them that I'm aware of. This isn't to
>>> say that there isn't a myth of them meeting, mind you; Yinkin and
>>> Rinkona did, after all.
>>

>The later seems the more problematic to me. (Though I'd also be somewhat
>skeptical about the first, at least in terms of "non-recent" history.)
>In terms of cosmogony, are the two completely different?

One's theist, the other animist; I'd say that's a fair difference :-)

>Or a mysterious
>case of "convergent evolution"? Is there nothing on the Other Side that
>in any sense corresponds to Primal Raccoonity?

There might be, but quite where it would be is a bit of a poser, if its supposed to be an effective source for both theist and animist magic. Strictly speaking, theist racoons and animist racoons are not the same creature, so they don't need a common origin. They just look kind of similar. Just as Malkioni and Heortlings look pretty much the same, but don't have a common origin, or indeed much similarity to each other beyond their basic humanity.

>It strikes me as pretty much contradictory to say that two things are
>deeply similar in character, but magically/othersidely unrelated.

Depends exactly what you mean by 'related' really.

> What,
>after all, does the other side _mean_ if it isn't about essential
>(small-e) connections between things?

Oh, I'm sure one could 'find' one through heroquesting if one wanted to, but since the two groups aren't historically linked, and have different modes of worship I don't see why it should be there at present. It *might* be, I grant you, but I can't see any reason why it has to be.

>>> They are probably associated with subtly
>>> different kinds of racoon too, although the non-magical differences
>>> might be the sort that only zoologist roster-writers could care about.
>>

>Shades of the alynx/bobcat model, hrm?

Just so.

--
Trotsky