the future of Pavis

From: Ian Thomson <jalmar_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 23:30:35 +1000

> I'm wondering if anyone out there has played a Pavis series past
> the ousting of the Lunars?

I've got a load of notes, but none written up yet. In fact I have an entire campaign arc in note form, which I will finish at some point. This is based on a discussion I had with Greg, which doesn't mean it is official of course, or ever will be (though one can always hope)

> Briefly summarized, what happened in our story was that the Crimson Bat...
There's a Pavis timeline Steve did which doesn't include anything like this, nor is it in KoS or anything, but nontheless the big CB also rocked up as a finale to one year of my Pavis campaign at UNI as well :)

> "Argrath of Pavis" <snip> calling it all Free Pavis and
> re-energizing Pavis cult efforts to reclaim the past glory of the city and
> integrate it with the new.

I like the cut of this gib :)

> Secretly, (hope no players are reading!) he's a
> Black Fang shaman and master of nightmares, who slew Gim Gim the Grim to
> steal most of his nasty secrets, and behind the scenes is now turning Free
> Pavis into his own criminal state.

Narsty!

> As the nomad horde came through, the farms of Pavis county were razed and
> the people remaining that the Bat didn't chow down either were taken by the
> nomads or fled into the city.

I sense that like a lot of people Pavis County is discounted due to there being a lack of detailed info. Basically the inhabitants are often perceived as faceless farm oiks. Thanks to the assistance of Jeff Richard, John Hughes and Dave Bell, this will be rectified in a few months in a large article in 'Shadows of Pavis'. Once you get to know these people you may not be so quick to have the farms razed and the resourceful Heortlings scoffed willy nilly. :)

>This left the county with little food, as
> the Bat and nomads came during the harvest. Another obvious problem now
> that the Lunars and nomads are gone, and the city is low on defenders, is
> the trolls.

Another problem to be approached in Shadows (in some considerable detail - in fact the main focus of the issue) ;)

> Ooh, people are missing those Lunars now! :) It's Dark
> Season and they are hungry, swelling in numbers as other trolls come from
> Dagori Inkarth every night and vanish into the Rubble...
An option if the Shadows scenario is failed! :)

>So it's a scary
> time in Free Pavis, and to top it off there are still vengeful, desparate
> Lunars hiding out here and there.

Bad, bad dudes.

>Makes it fun and challenging to adapt
> recent scenarios (e.g., wonderful Masks of Pavis stuff)
Kind fellow

> Anyway, ideas about what goes on next in Prax/Pavis would be very
> welcome. I imagine that, in the big scheme of things, once the Lunars are
> kicked out it largely drops off the radar of the Hero Wars and becomes a
> sanctuary for people escaping from/gathering strength for the battles in
> Dragon Pass. But I wonder what others have done with it, or will do.
Whilst this sanctuary idea is a good one, the Ancient Measure rise from the shadows of Pavis, cunningly manipulating heroes and events, calling the ancient design of Pavis to fruition so that at long last <message truncated>