Re: Post-Lunar Pavis

From: John R Hutchinson <jrhutch_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 11:32:38 -0700

>Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:29:15 -0400
>From: Paul and Lucinda Rasmussen <rasmuss_at_ptd.net>
>To: glorantha_at_rpglist.org
>Subject: Re: Post Lunar Pavis
>
>Well, my Pavis campaign isn't this far yet, but based on what you've
>written I have a few suggestions.
>
>First, How well has Chaos been cleaned out of the Rubble? There could be
>a cave complex acting as a haven for all those displaced Lunars or other
>uglies. This could open a nasty little triangle. Maybe the reason all of
>the trolls are moving in is because of the
>increasing monsters.

Yes, Chaos will always be a threat, although some of the problems were solved earlier when the River Voices (focus of the PCs) delved deep into Devil's Playground and eventually destroyed the Eye of Wakboth (expansion of original Taleo Lumine/Krarsht scenario). Other missions have disabled some outposts of Krarsht, Thanatar, and Pocharngo in the area. Ogre Island is still a big problem, and Chaos always finds a way to seem back in; with angry Lunars around it won't be hard. I like the troll idea and will use that, too. Aside from the great Trollball match, other reasons why the trolls haven't attacked is that everyone (especiallly allies called by Pavis folks) is upset and launching preemptive strikes, or otherwise bothering them.

>Second, How about the History Repeats Itself theme with the freshly pumped
>up nomads looking at Pavis and deciding it should be gone for good just to
>keep anyone else from thinking of moving in. Some small raids from the
>impala or llama folks could prove
>interesting.

Unfortunately, the nomads aren't doing so hot after the 3-armed (one of them invisible--- forget the KoS description) demon slaughtered Jaldon's horde when they tried to raid Sartar.

Has anyone ever described or pictured what happened in that fiasco? News of it is just reaching Pavis, and I've always had a hard time visualizing what happened based on the little tidbit in KoS. Rather would not contradict official info with this. I'm assuming it's some demon that Tatius secretly set as a border guard against Jaldon and company, but what it's name, nature, or appearance is I'm not sure of. Maybe similar to Yara Aranis but less arms and a nomad beast-eater rather than a horse-killer? Or is it a metaphor and not really three-armed?

>Third, your food shortage should raise a starvation threat. Zola Fel is
>willing to help with a bounty of fish, but in return something is
>demanded/needed. Maybe the ruling seat on the City Council? Higher
>tariffs on river traffic, or more likely some quests to
>retrieve lost artifacts that have been removed from the river valley.

You bet, exactly. It's a big focus right now, and the trolls aren't helping (insects and trollkin are getting into stores, frost and snow are killing plants, etc.).

>Finally, one of my future plans is to let a piece of dead Genert fall into
>the hands of the group and have them go off looking for Genert's Garden in
>the eastern wastes. If they thought dealing with Prax nomads was a
>problem wait til they see the nomads and other
>nasties that call Genert's Wastes home!

I like the idea; hmmm maybe I'll find a way for NPCs to do this and bring back food to help the hungry folk.
Thanks!

--John R Hutchinson