Puzzle Canal's riddle

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 <mmorrison_at_vnet.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:22:09 -0700 (PDT)

John R Hutchinson <jrhutch_at_stanford.edu> wrote:
> What really is the Nysalor
>riddle of the Puzzle Canal, and what's it's answer? In old RQ terms I had
>thought of it as a "Mapmaking skill" riddle about how one makes a map of
>something that is always changing, or generally how can one characterize
>that which is eternally in flux, having no character?

<lurk off>

Always changing? Eternally in flux, having no character? To me that's Chaos. I haven't been to Puzzle Canal in a long time :( But I recall there being two riddles associated with it: a lesser riddle about maps and a greater riddle about Chaos. To solve the lesser riddle was to increase your mapping skill and receive a chance for illumination. To solve the greater riddle was to receive a Chaos Feature and become illuminated ... Nasty business! Of course, the greater riddle is very difficult to solve (I never did -- whew!).

I'm almost certain that none of what I've written is canon, nor do I remember reading it (though I'm happy to give credit where it's due if I did), so assume this is like one of the rumours in Tales that is "True with a false component" or "False with some truth".

<lurk on>

Michael

End of Glorantha Digest