Re: Armies and Ceremonies

From: Nick Brooke <nick_at_etyries.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:52:10 +0100

Wes asked:

> What happens if the Free Army of Sartar is besieging Furthest when
> Reaping Day comes along. Obviously the entire army can't abandon the
> siege lines to attend ceremonies.

The answers provided earlier are wholly sensible. I just wanted to mention in passing that the largely parallel event in my folktale "King Argrath" is meant to mock this kind of rigid theocratic absurdity, not to present it as reasonable Gloranthan behaviour.

From www.etyries.com/folktale/kingarg.htm --

"King Argrath knew, though, that until the full of the moon the hoplites would not attack, only defend (though in defence they were invulnerable). So he waited, and he waited, as the iron spearpoints shone more and more redly in the ever-brighter moonlight before him, until the Red Moon was full. Then, as one man the Red Army of the North turned about, falling to their knees to offer praise to the Full Moon at their rear. At that moment, Argrath unleashed his berserkers, men who fought naked, swinging great swords as tall as themselves: swirling and chopping they ran amok through the prostrated ranks of the army upon their prayer-mats, and left none living..."

Cheers, Nick

PS: should be an etyries.com site update with new content within a week or so -- fresh Gloranthan myths as told at Convulsion by Loz!