Reaping Day

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:19:10 +1200

Wesley:

>Me> Reaping Day is sacred to Durev. What are his householders (initiates
> > and devotees) doing in an army?

>"All" communal members of the religion must attend the 28 holy days.

The passage to which I was responding was talking about what initiates and devotees in the army might be doing on Reaping Day. If they are initiates and devotees of Durev, then the question arises as to why they are there (I'm not saying that no Durevings are found in any Orlanthi army but that it is extremely unusual for them to be present). If their allegiance is to another Orlanthi subcult then their obligations on that day are merely communal.

It can be generalized for any other holy day. I do not believe that Orlanthi armies are capable of observing Holy Days (except those devoted to martial gods) while campaigning. If an initiate or devotee really wants to keep faith, then IMO his best course of action would be to go AWOL and make it up later.

--Peter Metcalfe