More on Spirit World

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:37:32 -0700

At 05:53 AM 7/23/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Spirit Plane, Shaman Clarifications

>Me:
>> >- "Directions" in the Spirit World are generally
>> >incomprehensible to or impossible to apply by non-
>> >Shamans. e.g., those at:
>> >www.glorantha.com/new/prax_spirit_tradition.html
>
>Greg:
>> Directions do not exist in the Spirit World. The
>> demense of the animist tradition is its own
>> entity/space in the spirit plane. It has no
>> relationship whatsoever with any other demense in
>> the spirit plane. There is no permanence way to
>> travel from one demense to another.
>
>OK. So are directions (like the ones on the Issaries
>web site concerning the Praxian tradition) valid
>_within_ a demense? If so, can any member of the
>tradition follow them?

Yes, they are valid within a demense. And a non-shaman member of the Traditions could find his way around them. Note though that trying to get to any of the places outside of the demense are fraught with dangers. I note that this is not explicitly stated to be so in very case, but it is. Yes, even to get to the Genert Demense, though that one might have modifiers if some knew about the broken, hidden and forgotten connections between Genert and Waha.

>> >- "Sure, the Shaman said to get to the Outlands
>> >Passage by heading from the Home Camp towards the
>> >Spike, but where's the Spike?"
>
>> The Spirit world has no Spike.
>
>Might a specific demense? If not, why does it appear
>on the Issaries web site write-up of the Praxian
>spirit tradition?

Hmmm, I have overstated this.
It was visible because it existed in the Pre-Waha Praxian Tradition (i.e.- the Genert Tradition). Note that it is visible, but not in the demense. A shaman could reach it, probably.

>> Are you still confusing the Hero Planes, where
>> HeroQuesting takes place, with the Spirit World,
>> where very little HeroQuesting takes place?
>
>I'm certainly confused, but apparently too confused to
>pin down what I'm confused about. The confusion
>arises from apparent contradiction between your
>statements above and the Praxian spirit tradition
>writeup on your web site. The only way I see )though
>there could be others) of making the two consistent is
>to assume that your statements were about the Spirit
>World, but do not necessarily apply to specific
>demenses.

This is precisely correct.
Think of the demense as a bubble within the spirit world. It is intact within itself, but sort of floats around int he spirit world.

>Unless you are saying that the writeup was
>about a portion of the Hero plane? Surely not -- the
>ancestors live in the Wide Plains, so it must be part
>of a Spirit Wolrd demense.

No, the Wide Plains are a part of the spirit world.

>> Integration no longer exists as a Shamanic or
>> Animist power. They are the very people who would
>> most loath exterminating the individual spirits by
>> using the old HW form of Integration.
>
>Ah, that's too bad. I always thought that was the
>coolest part of animism. I especially like the idea
>of using it with elves to integrate a spirit to gain
>some physical feature like war bark. Also, as a
>mechanic, it seemed like a pretty good representation
>of some things like the Berserker ability. Hopefully,
>there is an equally cool replacement that does not
>"exterminate" the individual spirit?

Not in the basic animist way of spirit, but it does exist as a sort of "mystical animism." However, it is not in HQ, which deals with only the basic rules.
I think that there is enough cool stuff in the Animist rules to make up for it.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_glorantha.com
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>