You're in the Army now!

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_pheasnt.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 19:51:20 +0100

On , you wrote:

>I was just reviewing the various holy days that the Orlanthi attend and
>came up with a question that I couldn't quite answer.
>
>This question would apply to any army in Glorantha.
>
>The 28 major days are attended by all heortlings. What happens if the
>Free Army of Sartar is besieging Furthest when Reaping Day comes along.=20
>Obviously the entire army can't abandon the siege lines to attend
>ceremonies. Would it be acceptable for the initiates to rotate through
>during the day? Devotees and priests have to spend all day doing their
>thing and so would be out of action for the duration. This could prove
>problematical for the initiates if all of the priests are tied up unless
>they could fudge their time and start in batches to serve the initiates.
>
>Thoughts?

It's rather the point that if you're supporting an army in the field then other duties (be they religious ceremonies, or the actual reaping that the ceremonies are there to bless) will suffer. Perhaps catastrophically.

This is why the people of Sartar generally don't support an army. The Empire, with it's millions of people can spare 1% of their population to campaign against the barbarians on the frontier, but if it takes 50% of the menfolk of Sartar to oppose them then the people will struggle to eat this winter.

York BSAC Web Page:
http://website.lineone.net/~york_bsac