Pentian Heroes

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:03:59 +0100 (BST)

Peter Metcalfe:
> >1. What is the best word for "Pentian Hero/Knight"? The Bashkiri use
> >"batyr" but if
> >there is a Gloranthan equivalent I will use that
>
> Pentans have a strict social hierarchy of Rider, Warrior, Leader, Chieftain
> and Elder. I suppose Leader is the closest thing they have to Knights but
> if you want a more authentic name then some variation of Henird might do.
> If you simply mean a mounted warrior then Jardan/Warrior will work.

Thanks. I didn't mean "Knight" in the Gloranthan/Malkioni sense, I was being sloppy. A Batyr is a mounted Hero, normally of immense strength/skill/cunning. Many of them are also Khans, but not all. I suppose "Hero" would do, but I wanted something to convey the meaning of "Hero Horseman" rather than simply "Warrior". These are the chaps who ride flying horses, catch arrows and fire them back at their enemies, pull trees from the ground and hit people with them - not your common and garden warriors.

See Ya

Simon

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com