Sartari Horses

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:09:40 -0500

Will Johnson says:

>I know several places have said that Elmal worship is not very common in
>Sartar. However, horses are. It would make sense that Barntar followers
>would care for ponies pulling plows. It would also make sense for Issaries
>to care for pack horses.

        The smart-ass answer is to point out that Sartari plow with oxen by preference and Issariesi (_there's_ an unfortunate construction) use mules if available (because of the cult connection).

        I think horses are fairly common in Sartar, but mostly as a form of transportation -- except for the Elmali, the vast majority of Sartari warriors are going to fight on foot (or in the air) not on horseback. The hilly terrain of Sartar does not exactly encourage the development of cavalry. I doubt many clans have more than a small herd of horses (from a few dozen to 60? 80?), however -- most clan members never leave the tula, after all, and Movement magics decrease the travel time for a lot of men by a considerable amount.

>Would Orlanth take up the slack in terms of horse-care for thanes who ride
>into battle mounted? Would Voriof followers care for them in the role of
>stable-boys?

        Storm Tribe has Redalda (ST 228-9), generally worshipped as a subcult of Ernalda Allmother. I expect most clans would have an initiate or two to tend the horses.

Peter Larsen