What's going on in Scotland?

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_albionsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 16:46:45 +0100

[Apologies for the potentially off topic crosspost.]

Hi all,

First a little history. As some of you may know, last summer I started looking into organising a glorantha con/convulsion-a-like/whatever to be held in Scotland summer 2003. As some of you (maybe not the same some...) know, this isn't currently looking likely. Anywhere big enough to hold something on the scale of Convulsion or Tentacles is too expensive north of the border. (How expensive? Try maybe twice the price of C02...) And by now its too late to organise something on such a scale.

However...

It would be possible (probably) to organise a smaller event. Not a con as such, more a meeting of like-minded people. There would be no guests as such (certainly not of the 'fly them in from Australia or California for free and pay for their every need' kind) and there would only be one main track - some seminars, a couple of small freeforms. Attendance would probably be limited to 70 or so (with maybe a few more attending 'day only'). The con would probably have a very strong Gloranthan focus.

The aim would be to find a hotel, preferably somewhere pretty. It would need a room for running seminars and small (30 person or so) freeforms, a room for open gaming (which could occasionally be taken over for an event), and a bar. There would be rooms for 70 or so people on site. This shouldn't be difficult in Scotland. (Indeed there is such a place two minutes walk from my house, and another four within ten minutes drive...)

Does this sound interesting? I need feedback - the sooner, the better. Please mail me off list, trying to answer these questions as best you can...

Would a small con such as this be of interest to you?

How much would you be willing to pay for it? (Split this up by membership/rooms/food/whatever, if you like.)

Where would you prefer such a con held? (Glasgow/Edinburgh/other city/near an airport/near a train station/middle of nowhere/somewhere with good views/don't care/whatever...)

Would you be willing to run a freeform/seminar/tabletop game/minatures game/whatever at the con?

One possibility is to have a small slush fund to help interesting people from overseas attend. Would you be happy for some of your membership fee to be used for this?

Would you buy a fund raiser book to help such a slush fund?

Would you contribute to such a fund raiser (in return for the usual free copy)?

Any other comments?

Cheers,
Graham

--