Krjalk

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 22:23:37 +1200

Julian Lord:

>On the one hand, we're told that Krjalk is the god of Chaos Monsters,
>twisting people and animals into shapes that don't rightly belong to
>them, and turning them into chaos fiends (I paraphrase, but there's the
>gist of it) ;

Krjalk is actually the god of treason. He is the Lord of Monsters in the west because the Ice Age westerners didn't understand the link between his conscious worship and being mutated into a chaotic monster.

>on the other hand, we know that most Westerners believe
>that all Beast Men, elves, trolls, dwarves, and other inhumans are all
>krjalki, even though we _know_ that these are not chaotics ...

Not quite. The Westerners use it to refer to Trolls and Dragonewts (Cults of Terror p47) while they have long contact with Dwarves and Elves. Even though most Westerners do not like Dwarves and Elves, they would look at you funny if you called them Krjalki IMO. I think some Merfolk would also be excluded.

AFAIK thje western use of Krjalki is a case of an expanding definition (like calling all black Pamaltelans Agimori) that lacks mythic backing.

>Maybe Krjalk is in the reality the Essence and Demon of Bigotry, Racial
>Hatred, Xenophobia, Ethnic Cleansing, Genocide, and &c. ?

Demon is the correct term. Essenses are inhabitants of the Spell Plane and Psyches the inhabitants of the Saints' Plane according to the HW glossary.

--Peter Metcalfe