Re: Orlanthi and horses

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 17:50:47 +0100

John Trasler:

>>> However, in order to get mules, one needs horses. To belabour the
>>> point, mules do not produce mules - just noise and fertiliser.
>>

>I am assuming, BTW, that we are classifying hinnies as mules.

Yes.

>In the RW, it is not unknown for female mules to give birth, though it is
>*extremely* rare. It is unknown for male mules to breed, however.
>
>But in Glorantha, maybe mules can breed with each other to produce more
>mules.

Anaxial's Roster, p.55: "Mules are sterile crossbreeds of horses and donkeys".

Now, that isn't to say that fertility magic of some kind can't alter this (probably on a once-per-mating basis), but as a general rule, Gloranthan mules are no different from ours in that respect. Although the same is not true of zorses, IIRC.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic